Which sport overall is the most difficult?

Started by BrandiWritesPW, September 08, 2020, 07:16:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandiWritesPW

I was listening to a podcast on my way to work and the host mentioned that he thinks that hockey is the overall most difficult sport to play. You have so many moving parts to account for, all while having to ice skate. Which do you think is most difficult?
Writer/Editor - Last Word on Pro Wrestling

LWOS_Marilee

To me, this is an impossible question to answer because all sports have their difficulties in different areas. Plus, if we're to compare individual sports vs team sports, it gets even murkier. I have heard though that the hardest thing to do in sports is though is hit a baseball. Mostly based on just how little time you have to react. When guys are throwing 100 MPH, you almost have to guess before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. You've got just 60 feet from the mound to the plate and when the ball is going that fast, add onto it, time it takes for a bat to go around to barrel up a ball that small, and you're looking at mere seconds, perhaps even less, to hit the ball.
Department Manager, LWOPW

DavidLatham

It definitely doesn't require the most athleticism, but hitting is the toughest thing to do in sports

Aarik

Golf is one of the easiest to learn to play, but the toughest to be good at

Raheem Farhan Bashir

Everyone's opinion on the most difficult sport is going to be different. I would say either ice hockey or baseball. With ice hockey, it is a physical game and it requires the person to skate, which adds an element of difficulty. With baseball, hitting the ball can be quite a challenge. This is especially true with the speed of the baseball. The chances are better than not that the batter does not get a base hit.

DavidLatham

Quote from: Raheem Farhan Bashir on September 25, 2020, 02:50:40 pm
Everyone's opinion on the most difficult sport is going to be different. I would say either ice hockey or baseball. With ice hockey, it is a physical game and it requires the person to skate, which adds an element of difficulty. With baseball, hitting the ball can be quite a challenge. This is especially true with the speed of the baseball. The chances are better than not that the batter does not get a base hit.

The thing about hitting is that successfully doing your job 3 times out of 10 makes you one of the best in the league. Can't think of another sport where that's the case

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: DavidLatham on September 26, 2020, 02:36:31 am
The thing about hitting is that successfully doing your job 3 times out of 10 makes you one of the best in the league. Can't think of another sport where that's the case

I'd say the only other career where that passes for acceptable is predicting the weather lol

LWOS_Niklas

I'm gonna second the comment that "golf is the easiest to learn but hardest to be best at". 
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

DJKleinbard

connordeitrich

No real way of answering this, but hockey players are extremely impressive. I don't have the coordination to ice skate very well, let alone at a fast pace and try to control a puck and fire off shots in the process.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: connordeitrich on October 14, 2020, 01:34:07 pm
No real way of answering this, but hockey players are extremely impressive. I don't have the coordination to ice skate very well, let alone at a fast pace and try to control a puck and fire off shots in the process.

Yeah, that's a valid point actually that may make hockey harder than hitting a baseball. Adding in the element of skating definitely puts it over the top.

rbrent

Hockey is the only major sport that, by definition, requires a special skill. Anyone can play football, basketball or baseball. Poorly, but they're still able to enjoy it. If you can't skate? Hockey is not a fun time. So by that logic its the sport that has the biggest gap towards starting to play. At the highest level? Hitting a baseball seems pretty hard. I'm a huge hockey fan though. So out of biased I'm sticking to that answer.

travisknobbe

Hockey falls 2nd or 3rd on my list of favorite major sports (basketball and hockey go back and forth for me).

I'd have to say it's the hardest. Baseball a close second.

I do like Aarik's answer of golf as an underrated contender here. It's easy to go out and swing a club and shoot 120. I've read in multiple places that less than 10% of people who golf at least once a year have ever hit below 100. Even that is basically double bogey golf. Haha. And the people who can hit par on a routine basis is dramatically less. THEN they move to the pro tees and play an entirely different game.  Then you have an even more select few who can regularly break par and be competitive on a tournament level. So I'd call this game a very close third behind the other 2.
LWOS - CFB Writer covering WVU and General Topics (NIL compensation and rule changes)

AWaite

Has to be golf. The amount of physical and mental brain activity involved in a just the swing is absolutely crazy. Take into account too, judging the weather, distance, pin height, fairway width, altitude, grass length, swing speed and it's affect on the ball. Another factor - connecting a fairly small club face with a tiny ball and then landing that ball in a desired zone 100s of yards away. No wonder it's one of the highest paying sports in the world!