Last Word on Sports

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Will James Harden’s Legacy Be?  (Read 263 times)

JordanHaddock

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What Will James Harden’s Legacy Be?
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:14:04 pm »

Look, there’s no doubt he’s an elite scorer. But his inability to perform when it matters most is a huge black mark on his career. I’ll put the question out there; if Harden never wins a ring in his career, will he simply be known for never performing in the clutch?

The Rockets win in game 7 was thanks to Russ, Roco, and Eric Gordon. That’s never a good sign when people consider you a top 4-5 player in the league.

Raheem Farhan Bashir

• View Profile
Re: What Will James Harden’s Legacy Be?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:44:28 pm »

I think James Harden, unfair or not has to win the NBA Championship to get rid of the criticism (unfair or not) that he does not perform in the NBA playoffs. His regular seasons have always been quite impressive and can be compared to elite players like LeBron James in the last few years. However, winning an NBA Championship would change how people view James Harden and it would also change how people look at Russell Westbrook.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:44:28 pm »

BomTrady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:21:13 am »

Look, there’s no doubt he’s an elite scorer. But his inability to perform when it matters most is a huge black mark on his career. I’ll put the question out there; if Harden never wins a ring in his career, will he simply be known for never performing in the clutch?

The Rockets win in game 7 was thanks to Russ, Roco, and Eric Gordon. That’s never a good sign when people consider you a top 4-5 player in the league.

He did have the game saving stop on Dort when he was killing them from 3 the entire game. But yeah he was awful in game 7 and had major help from his supporting cast in Russ, Gordon, Roco. Personally I think he'll have the "never performing in the clutch" label on him if he doesn't win an NBA championship and doesn't even reach the finals.

I do think D'Antoni needs to go regardless, the Rockets basically can't close out series every year in the playoffs because their no mid range shots only 3s and layups philosophy doesn't benefit them when defenses converge on them and they start to go cold and they can't generate any offense on other spots on the court. As for Harden if he doesn't shoot 2-13 in the 2018 game 7 along with his teammates shooting bricks they probably win that game. Last year was interesting because they could've beaten the Warriors w/o KD, but they couldn't stop Curry in the 4th.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:21:13 am »

BomTrady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 09:22:49 am »

He did have the game saving stop on Dort when he was killing them from 3 the entire game. But yeah he was awful in game 7 and had major help from his supporting cast in Russ, Gordon, Roco. Personally I think he'll have the "never performing in the clutch" label on him if he doesn't win an NBA championship and doesn't even reach the finals.

I do think D'Antoni needs to go regardless, the Rockets basically can't close out series every year in the playoffs because their no mid range shots only 3s and layups philosophy doesn't benefit them when defenses converge on them and they start to go cold and they can't generate any offense on other spots on the court. As for Harden if he doesn't shoot 2-13 in the 2018 game 7 along with his teammates shooting bricks they probably win that game. Last year was interesting because they could've beaten the Warriors w/o KD, but they couldn't stop Curry in the 4th.

I do also think this a perfect situation against the Lakers for Harden to boost his legacy if he can beat Lebron in the second round. The Rockets small ball has been torturing the Lakers on defense.

LWOS_Niklas

• The Honky Bonk Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:46:52 pm »

Forever an underachiever unless his luck changes soon.
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 11:32:32 pm »

I think James Harden, unfair or not has to win the NBA Championship to get rid of the criticism (unfair or not) that he does not perform in the NBA playoffs.

Don't think that's unfair at all. None of the criticisms levied against Harden are unwarranted. If he can't win a ring, his legacy will always be just that. A guy who was really good but didn't have that all important Clutch gene. Because you can't even say he didn't have the talent to do it. Guy was on a team with Russ and KD at one point. Thunder just choked and now the Rockets are doing the same.
Department Manager, LWOPW

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 11:32:32 pm »

rbrent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:53:29 pm »

I think of him the same way I think of Allen Iverson. An incredibly exciting player and dynamic scorer that uh. Just isn't going to win more than likely. I think even more than AI, Harden's game just isn't suited to winning in the modern NBA.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:53:29 pm »

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:53:29 pm »

I think the AI comparison isn't entirely fair. Iverson led the Sixers to the NBA Finals and if I recall, he put the team on his back to almost beat the Lakers. I wouldn't say he was the reason Philly lost. Harden on the other hand, I can't think of a specific time where he took the game into his own hands in a big playoff moment. He just seems to come up small I'd argue Iverson never came up small. I just think he didn't have the talent around him to get over the hump that was those Lakers teams.
Department Manager, LWOPW

connordeitrich

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:17 am »

A great player who couldn't get it done in the postseason when he didn't get the whistles. He still has time to change that, but that's what he is right now.

MichaelMarti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:39 pm »

Depends on if he manages to win a championship. For now, he will just be considered a great regular season player who couldn't get it done. That will change if he manages to get over the hump.

mweinsteiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 07:13:30 pm »

I don't see Harden ever getting a ring, so he'll be known as an amazing scorer, practically patented the stepback 3, but not clutch and not a winner.

Zkircher32

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 10:21:31 pm »

A good offensive player that will never win a ring. He’s going to be more disrespected than anything because a lot of his games involves around officiating which is unfortunate

MichaelMarti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:54 am »

I don't see Harden ever getting a ring, so he'll be known as an amazing scorer, practically patented the stepback 3, but not clutch and not a winner.

It’s always possible for the Rockets to have one amazing run like the Raptors, Mavericks or Pistons

LWOSAARON

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 04:04:14 pm »

A great scorer that will never win a ring.

mweinsteiner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 02:20:09 pm »

It’s always possible for the Rockets to have one amazing run like the Raptors, Mavericks or Pistons

With Harden and Westbrook the two stars in the team, they have themselves some exceptional regular season players and some mediocre playoff players. Not to mention there's a reason that "small ball" has never won a championship, the playoffs are very different.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up