Last Word on Sports

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Americans in the US Open Men's Draw. Who makes it the farthest?  (Read 116 times)

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling

Another year, another unlikely chance for an American to win their home major in the men's draw. Last year, none made it to the Round of 16, a devastating blow even for recent US tennis standards. This year, there are 10 men in the draw with two seeded in the top 20. Isner seeded 16th and Fritz seeded 19th.

While I don't expect any American to win, who is your pick to go the farthest and how far do you think that player goes?

I'm going with Sam Querrey. He's having a decent year. Is a capable hard court player and has reached the QFs before. I think he reaches the round of 16 and bows out. As for Isner, there is a decent shot he loses in the first round. He faces fellow American Steve Johnson and that's a good matchup for Johnson. Very similar type players who know each other's games very well but Johnson is younger and his fitness is a little better. So don't be surprised at an early upset there.
Department Manager, LWOPW

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
Re: Americans in the US Open Men's Draw. Who makes it the farthest?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:56 pm »

Another year, another unlikely chance for an American to win their home major in the men's draw. Last year, none made it to the Round of 16, a devastating blow even for recent US tennis standards. This year, there are 10 men in the draw with two seeded in the top 20. Isner seeded 16th and Fritz seeded 19th.

While I don't expect any American to win, who is your pick to go the farthest and how far do you think that player goes?

I'm going with Sam Querrey. He's having a decent year. Is a capable hard court player and has reached the QFs before. I think he reaches the round of 16 and bows out. As for Isner, there is a decent shot he loses in the first round. He faces fellow American Steve Johnson and that's a good matchup for Johnson. Very similar type players who know each other's games very well but Johnson is younger and his fitness is a little better. So don't be surprised at an early upset there.

I know the pitfalls of American tennis far too well. Isner out in round one. Didn't have one single service break. First seed taken out and I'm not even really a little bit surprised.
Department Manager, LWOPW

Last Word on Sports

Re: Americans in the US Open Men's Draw. Who makes it the farthest?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:56 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up