Last Word on Sports

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next 76ers Head Coach?  (Read 581 times)

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
Next 76ers Head Coach?
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:41:56 pm »

The 76ers are looking for a new coach after parting ways with Brett Brown. Who do you think should be the next leader in Philadelphia? It would be an interesting move to me if Jay Wright decided to take the jump (though I think it's highly unlikely).

BomTrady

• View Profile
Re: Next 76ers Head Coach?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:35 am »

The 76ers are looking for a new coach after parting ways with Brett Brown. Who do you think should be the next leader in Philadelphia? It would be an interesting move to me if Jay Wright decided to take the jump (though I think it's highly unlikely).

I think they should aim for Stan Van Gundy, Kenny Atkinson, Mark Jackson, or go to their assistants as the HC. Jay Wright is pretty unrealistic, he's already had so much success in Nova idk why he would all of sudden want to coach the Sixers when he's turned down multiple opportunities to get more money from other colleges.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:35 am »

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:38:27 am »

I think they should aim for Stan Van Gundy, Kenny Atkinson, Mark Jackson, or go to their assistants as the HC. Jay Wright is pretty unrealistic, he's already had so much success in Nova idk why he would all of sudden want to coach the Sixers when he's turned down multiple opportunities to get more money from other colleges.
I've heard Stan Van Gundy thrown around a lot since the firing was announced. I feel like that would be a really interesting fit. However, I think all of the guys you listed there would be able to find success. There just has to be some better decision making at the top when it comes to roster moves.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:38:27 am »

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 02:45:01 pm »

Whoever is the coach needs to hold the players much more accountable because clearly they aren't doing it themselves. Elton Brand has some work to do now that he's supposedly fully in charge of this whole mess. It's sink or swim really.

As a Sixers fan, I can tell you the city of Philadelphia desperately wants Jay Wright. But I'm realistic. Wright is the 5th highest paid coach in college. It's not about the money. He has one of the cushiest jobs in all of NCAA too as even when Villanova has its disappointing early exits, Wright's job is never in doubt. He's turned down NBA jobs before and while I do think if he were to accept one it would be with the Sixers, I just don't see it. Unless he wants to leave an easy job where he's incredibly well-respected and has built a culture that fits in exchange for taking on a challenge and two egos...But otherwise, I don't see it.

So taking him off the wish list, I've heard Ime Udoka's name highly mentioned but I'd be hesitant to stick with any of Brown's assistants, even though Udoka would come from the Popovich coaching tree which makes him tempting. Kenny Atkinson is another name. Ty Lue, which the plus in his corner is he doesn't back down to his stars. Stan Van Gundy is certainly intriguing as would be Jeff.

There are a lot of options out there. I just hope the Sixers really put consideration into picking the right guy. Because we spent nearly a decade in what can now be seen as a failing process. Should the next head coach fail to get the most out of Embiid and Simmons, then it's really going to be a disaster and waste of a decade.
Department Manager, LWOPW

BomTrady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 11:16:30 am »

Whoever is the coach needs to hold the players much more accountable because clearly they aren't doing it themselves. Elton Brand has some work to do now that he's supposedly fully in charge of this whole mess. It's sink or swim really.

As a Sixers fan, I can tell you the city of Philadelphia desperately wants Jay Wright. But I'm realistic. Wright is the 5th highest paid coach in college. It's not about the money. He has one of the cushiest jobs in all of NCAA too as even when Villanova has its disappointing early exits, Wright's job is never in doubt. He's turned down NBA jobs before and while I do think if he were to accept one it would be with the Sixers, I just don't see it. Unless he wants to leave an easy job where he's incredibly well-respected and has built a culture that fits in exchange for taking on a challenge and two egos...But otherwise, I don't see it.

So taking him off the wish list, I've heard Ime Udoka's name highly mentioned but I'd be hesitant to stick with any of Brown's assistants, even though Udoka would come from the Popovich coaching tree which makes him tempting. Kenny Atkinson is another name. Ty Lue, which the plus in his corner is he doesn't back down to his stars. Stan Van Gundy is certainly intriguing as would be Jeff.

There are a lot of options out there. I just hope the Sixers really put consideration into picking the right guy. Because we spent nearly a decade in what can now be seen as a failing process. Should the next head coach fail to get the most out of Embiid and Simmons, then it's really going to be a disaster and waste of a decade.

Ty Lue would be an interesting choice but I feel if anything he is more of a puppet imo. When he took over the Cavs it was more so to give power for Lebron and Klutch Sports Management to dictate the offense and then be in charge of roster management. If the Sixers go with him, I think Simmons will be the one who dictates the talent around him and Joel which I think wouldn't be bad considering Simmons would know what players would go well with his playing style.

Van Gundy seems like the best candidate mainly because he's coached prime Dwight Howard, Drummond so he'd be ideal for maximizing Joel's talent. He also just has a lot of high praise for Simmons.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:28:14 am »

Ty Lue would be an interesting choice but I feel if anything he is more of a puppet imo. When he took over the Cavs it was more so to give power for Lebron and Klutch Sports Management to dictate the offense and then be in charge of roster management. If the Sixers go with him, I think Simmons will be the one who dictates the talent around him and Joel which I think wouldn't be bad considering Simmons would know what players would go well with his playing style.

Van Gundy seems like the best candidate mainly because he's coached prime Dwight Howard, Drummond so he'd be ideal for maximizing Joel's talent. He also just has a lot of high praise for Simmons.

Yeah, that's the one big concern with Lue. How much did he really do as a coach? It's kinda the worst kept secret around the league at this point that LeBron coaches himself and runs his teams how he sees fit. The coach is just there for optics and to run the offense when Bron comes off the court. So I think we don't fully know how good or bad Lue really is.

Van Gundy's name is definitely picking up steam. And your point on Dwight is a great one. Talk about an ego. Yeah, I'd think he'd be able to get the best and most out of Ben and Joel.

As I said above, Sixers fans don't necessarily want a big, flashy name at this point. They just want a coach and an organization that can earn back the trust we spent years wasting on the process. I wouldn't care if the coach was a little known college coach honestly. If he can convince Ben and Joel to be less complacent and make them into the superstars they were drafted to be, that's all I want. Brand seems to be the one building the roster at this point so hes gonna be the guy getting the pieces to fit around the two. And helping pick the coach who's system works to their strengths. So all the coach has to do is bring out the best in two guys who are brick walls. Easy enough...

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:28:14 am »

BomTrady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:01:59 pm »

Yeah, that's the one big concern with Lue. How much did he really do as a coach? It's kinda the worst kept secret around the league at this point that LeBron coaches himself and runs his teams how he sees fit. The coach is just there for optics and to run the offense when Bron comes off the court. So I think we don't fully know how good or bad Lue really is.

Van Gundy's name is definitely picking up steam. And your point on Dwight is a great one. Talk about an ego. Yeah, I'd think he'd be able to get the best and most out of Ben and Joel.

As I said above, Sixers fans don't necessarily want a big, flashy name at this point. They just want a coach and an organization that can earn back the trust we spent years wasting on the process. I wouldn't care if the coach was a little known college coach honestly. If he can convince Ben and Joel to be less complacent and make them into the superstars they were drafted to be, that's all I want. Brand seems to be the one building the roster at this point so hes gonna be the guy getting the pieces to fit around the two. And helping pick the coach who's system works to their strengths. So all the coach has to do is bring out the best in two guys who are brick walls. Easy enough...

For sure. I think also even if you do get a new coach, the next focus would be on figuring out if you the Horford contract. Because I don't think anyone in the NBA can utilize and optimize two centers at once in a spacing/perimeter shooting based league.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:01:59 pm »

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:08:48 pm »

For sure. I think also even if you do get a new coach, the next focus would be on figuring out if you the Horford contract. Because I don't think anyone in the NBA can utilize and optimize two centers at once in a spacing/perimeter shooting based league.

Horford's gotta go imo. It was a good idea in theory I guess to get the guy who made Joel look like an amateur when they matched up, but he didn't help us beat the Celtics and was a non-factor much of the season. Elton's gotta get guys who can shoot the damn basketball. Losing JJ Redick and Jimmy Butler were big blows in that regard. We have little to no perimeter shooting right now and that's gotta be the first thing post coach that Elton works on be it through the draft, trades or FAs.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:44:57 pm »

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone, but...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/09/02/jay-wright-villanova-76ers-job-no-interest

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:06 pm »

The latest rumor is that Ty Lue is who the organization wants.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 11:52:14 pm »

The latest rumor is that Ty Lue is who the organization wants.

Yep, that rumor is picking up steam as reportedly both Lue and the Sixers have mutual interest and are close on terms as far as what both want out of the job. I don't believe the Sixers will budge on Lue's request to have the image of Iverson stepping over him removed from WFC though  ;D ;D - just kidding, he didn't actually request that...that I know of  ;)

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:11 am »

Yep, that rumor is picking up steam as reportedly both Lue and the Sixers have mutual interest and are close on terms as far as what both want out of the job. I don't believe the Sixers will budge on Lue's request to have the image of Iverson stepping over him removed from WFC though  ;D ;D - just kidding, he didn't actually request that...that I know of  ;)
I think this would be an interesting choice. Many people believe he was not as involved while in Cleveland and that it was really LeBron's show. I wonder how this would work if he has more responsibility on him. That's not to say I don't have confidence in his abilities. Just an observation.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 05:32:38 pm »

I think this would be an interesting choice. Many people believe he was not as involved while in Cleveland and that it was really LeBron's show. I wonder how this would work if he has more responsibility on him. That's not to say I don't have confidence in his abilities. Just an observation.

Personally he's not my top choice but he's not the worst option either. I'd like to see how he handles Joel and Ben. Hopefully he'll hold them more accountable than Brown...

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 09:15:16 pm »

With Billy Donovan headed to Chicago, that leaves Mike D'Antoni and a surprising new candidate in Doc Rivers as the Sixers seeming top two options. I heard today they called Rivers almost as soon as they were able. Rivers to Philly would be interesting. I'd probably put him ahead of D'Antoni at this point.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 06:12:53 pm »

Looks like the Sixers got Doc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up