Last Word on Sports

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should the NBA play in a bubble in 2021?  (Read 377 times)

TyeHookerWrites

• View Profile
Should the NBA play in a bubble in 2021?
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:18 am »

Should the NBA play in a bubble in 2021 to insure upmost safety for their players?

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
Re: Should the NBA play in a bubble in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »

I really think it'll depend on how the virus progresses. That's really how everything is going to go for pro sports until everything is under control. Luckily, the NBA has a model that has worked, giving them an easier time to make a decision when the time comes to decide how the 2020-21 season should proceed.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »

BomTrady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:38 pm »

I really think it'll depend on how the virus progresses. That's really how everything is going to go for pro sports until everything is under control. Luckily, the NBA has a model that has worked, giving them an easier time to make a decision when the time comes to decide how the 2020-21 season should proceed.

Highly doubt the players would say yes to it again. Hopefully for the 2020-21 season we have the virus more under control and they can play in regular stadiums with fans

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:38 pm »

chasegage

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 10:07:52 am »

I think theoretically if the players were robots, a bubble could work. But in reality, I think the Bubble only works for this short-term restart to the season. No way players would spend months on end away from their families and non-sports life. I love the bubble and think it's been a great product thus far, but its not fair to ask the players to do it again.
Senior Editor
LastWordonProBasketball.com

Mike Kovacs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word On Sports
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 08:55:39 pm »

I think some form of partially-attended games might be the best bet. Like operate at 30% or whatever the NFL is doing. Let's see how they get along (though most stadiums are open-air, not closed).
CEO, Last Word On Sports INC
LastWordOnSports.com

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »

I think theoretically if the players were robots, a bubble could work. But in reality, I think the Bubble only works for this short-term restart to the season. No way players would spend months on end away from their families and non-sports life. I love the bubble and think it's been a great product thus far, but its not fair to ask the players to do it again.

Totally agree. I've had this conversation with people about baseball and I explained to them MLB never could have had a bubble. It worked for NBA and NHL because it's essentially just playoffs. It worked for MLS because it was just a tournament. MLB would have been a full season. That's several months away from spouses and kids. I guarantee you'd have had a lot more players opt out then did if that were the case esp all the new dads and soon to be dads. To play an entire 82-game season in a bubble, I just can't see a scenario where the players would agree to that.
Department Manager, LWOPW

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »

Dan Mount

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »

I think they winter-based leagues went at least some fans. Hopefully we've got a vaccine or some type of treatment to keep the virus managed to where we can have a shred of normalcy with safety.
Marketing Manager, Last Word on Hockey

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »

WaldoTerrier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 09:58:18 am »

I think they winter-based leagues went at least some fans. Hopefully we've got a vaccine or some type of treatment to keep the virus managed to where we can have a shred of normalcy with safety.
I think some of these college football venues and others around the world that have started to allow some fans can be the template. Block off sections people aren't supposed to be sitting in, and really emphasize the distancing between fans.

Aarik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:45 pm »

It depends on how things go, but I would not be opposed. They could incorporate breaks where players could go home for a week and then be in quarantine for a couple of weeks before resuming play and they still would not have to miss play.

Dvikes5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 02:09:54 pm »

If the virus is still a real threat the. I could see them starting the season in a bubble again. I kind of love how no team has home court advantage and the better team wins though

Zkircher32

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 10:31:53 pm »

It’s not fair at all to the players. However, the quality of basketball could not have been better this postseason. That was ridiculously fun to watch

Raheem Farhan Bashir

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 10:49:36 pm »

I am not sure. It depends on when the coronavirus vaccines will come out. They might do travel similar to what MLS and MLB are doing right now, although that might be dangerous as there is more contact in the NBA than MLS and MLB. In this scenario, travelling will be permitted but no fans. However, if they are to do this the Toronto Raptors will have to find a U.S. home for the 2019-20 NBA season. The Canadian government did not allow MLB's Toronto Blue Jays or the three Canadian MLS teams to play in their home cities while also travelling to the U.S. As a result, the Blue Jays had to play in Buffalo and the three Canadian MLS teams were forced to find a U.S. home to play in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up