November 24, 2020, 03:41:23 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Who leaves Philly? Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid?

Started by DanielRicheson, August 21, 2020, 07:03:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielRicheson

Obviously the best case is neither but with the 76ers, the obvious answer is never the one they choose. With the huge off-season next year being the Giannis sweepstakes, who would more likely be on the move out of Philly if they decide to part ways? 

I'd say its likely if they don't get out of the 2nd round. There's been some interesting Chicago Bulls trades floated on Twitter.

BomTrady

I don't think they'd break them up that quickly considering they only played together in the playoffs twice. They'd probably try to get rid of Harris or Horford first. My guess would be the move Simmons instead of Embiid because it's the easiest player to build around.

tylermarling

Simmons and Embiid just don't fit together. I've always leaned towards building around Embiid between the two of them so I'd say they should try to move Simmons for a king's ransom during, or just before the draft.
Operations Manager
Last Word on Pro Basketball

WaldoTerrier

Simmons seems to pop up on a lot of conversations about who you would build around. Embiid was supposed to be the future when the rebuild first started, but it seems like he just hasn't panned out. I would try to move him if you can. Hopefully Simmons can stay healthy though.

BomTrady

August 24, 2020, 08:08:42 pm #4 Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 08:11:19 pm by BomTrady
Quote from: tylermarling on August 24, 2020, 08:56:27 am
Simmons and Embiid just don't fit together. I've always leaned towards building around Embiid between the two of them so I'd say they should try to move Simmons for a king's ransom during, or just before the draft.

The Sixers had one of the best offenses in the league in 2017-18 in the NBA when they were filled with perimeter shooting and floor spacing for them to operate in. The notion that they don't fit together is not true, the only reason we are getting that is because Elton Brand put a center to play with Joel and Ben which is clogging up the space Joel can use to dominate the paint or space for Ben to attack the basket. I'm not even a Sixers fan but I think people need to realize how teams should be constructed.

They should be broken up if and only if the Sixers lack postseason success under their new coach and are underperforming when the roster benefits Ben and Joel

chasegage

It's tough because Embiid is (in my opinion) the best Center in the NBA. At worst, he's top-two. However, his career is unlikely to last as long as a guy like Simmons. Building around dominant centers only works for a few years (Shaq early 2000s, Hakeem had two titles, Dwight had one Finals run), and the position has been receding in terms of necesity over the years.

If Philly were to trade Embiid, I think they get a greater return AND have a brighter future, even though I think he's the much better player right now. However, they can build around Simmons with whatever return they can get, and they will still be relevant after Embiid starts to decline.
Senior Editor
LastWordonProBasketball.com

chasegage

Senior Editor
LastWordonProBasketball.com

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: BomTrady on August 24, 2020, 08:08:42 pm
The Sixers had one of the best offenses in the league in 2017-18 in the NBA when they were filled with perimeter shooting and floor spacing for them to operate in. The notion that they don't fit together is not true, the only reason we are getting that is because Elton Brand put a center to play with Joel and Ben which is clogging up the space Joel can use to dominate the paint or space for Ben to attack the basket. I'm not even a Sixers fan but I think people need to realize how teams should be constructed.

They should be broken up if and only if the Sixers lack postseason success under their new coach and are underperforming when the roster benefits Ben and Joel

As a Sixers fan, I totally agree. I used to think Ben and Joel couldn't play together but when I realized it was the system hampering them, things started to become more clear. Then Simmons got injured in a playoffs that maybe would have gone differently (we certainly wouldn't have gotten swept) had he played. And I went from someone who thought we'd need to trade one or the other to realizing people were wrong. Those who think we can't win with both just got a first hand seat to how we can't win with just one. We can't win without Simmons IMO, so I'm firmly in the camp of keeping both and finding a head coach who can bring out the best in them. We're talking 2 top-3 picks. There has to be a coach out there who can turn that talent into a winning formula.
Department Manager, LWOPW

RandleRant

I question whether either is a true building block.

Embiid is super talented but can get lazy and Simmons needs to make a consistent jumper as a true NBA threat. Moving him to PF was damning to their belief in his long term outlook IMO

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: RandleRant on August 29, 2020, 10:50:17 pm
I question whether either is a true building block.

Embiid is super talented but can get lazy and Simmons needs to make a consistent jumper as a true NBA threat. Moving him to PF was damning to their belief in his long term outlook IMO

I really hope one of the first priorities of the new coach is to give Ben Simmons a shot. Brett Brown said he wanted Simmons shooting three 3s per game. We all saw how that turned out. The idea of accountability is crazy to me. For Ben to say he needs a coach to hold him accountable doesn't inspire much confidence in me. He should be able to hold himself. His teammates should hold him accountable. Simmons has a lot of growing to do but I still think he's got the talent. LeBron's little king as he called him. I just hope the Sixers don't watch that talent walk out the door and Simmons becomes the player we know he can be elsewhere.
Department Manager, LWOPW