December 04, 2020, 12:24:49 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Is Federer overrated?

Started by Jim Smith, July 28, 2020, 09:37:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelMarti

It's going to be a sad day when Fed retires. GOAT or not, he played in such a brilliant way and I can say that he always had my favourite style to watch between him, Nadal and Djokovic.

LWOS_Niklas

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 18, 2020, 08:40:27 am
It's going to be a sad day when Fed retires. GOAT or not, he played in such a brilliant way and I can say that he always had my favourite style to watch between him, Nadal and Djokovic.

I am dreading it.  Nadal too.  Both have been such a positive influence on the sport and really brought it to new eyes like nobody else.
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Niklas

"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: LWOS_Niklas on October 19, 2020, 04:22:46 pm
I am dreading it.  Nadal too.  Both have been such a positive influence on the sport and really brought it to new eyes like nobody else.

That twilight sadly seems to be coming closer and closer esp for Fed. I think Nadal sticks around a bit more, at the very least for clay court season, but its pretty clear the end is near for Roger
Department Manager, LWOPW

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Niklas on October 19, 2020, 04:22:46 pm

And there doesn't seem to be a natural successor to them right now in the Men's game

LWOS_Marilee

There's certainly a couple of guys I could see rising up but yeah, there are no clear cut number ones. I don't think we'll ever see what we've seen with these three ever again. Truly was a time to be alive.

LWOS_Niklas

I agree.  It has been a golden era and I am gutted it is almost over. 

LWOS_Niklas

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Niklas on October 25, 2020, 04:48:12 pm
I agree.  It has been a golden era and I am gutted it is almost over.

We'll have to wait a long time for another generation like this

Yesh

We have no idea how much longer Fed has. He's been injured, but if he comes back healthy there are still very few who can beat him, anywhere.

LWOS_Marilee

Yeah that's such a big if. Fed hasn't been that guy in a while now. Maybe he has one last big run in him. After all, the last time most people wrote him off he won a slam so who knows.

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on November 02, 2020, 03:49:30 pm
Yeah that's such a big if. Fed hasn't been that guy in a while now. Maybe he has one last big run in him. After all, the last time most people wrote him off he won a slam so who knows.

I've written Federer off in 2014 and he won quite a few more Grand Slams after that, I've leaned to never doubt him haha.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: MichaelMarti on November 02, 2020, 06:31:33 pm
I've written Federer off in 2014 and he won quite a few more Grand Slams after that, I've leaned to never doubt him haha.

Yeah I stopped writing him off after I previously wrote him off prior to his last grand slam title in 2018 I think it was lol

Yesh

Age means it takes longer to heal, but I don't know how close Fed is to retiring. He can still beat anyone at any time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play an essentially Major-only schedule for at least five more years.