Last Word on Sports

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Federer overrated?  (Read 644 times)

Jim Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is Federer overrated?
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:44 am »

An all-time great sure, but is he really the greatest of all time? Winning one more Slam than Nadal and three more than Djokovic seems rather arbitrary.

BomTrady

• View Profile
Re: Is Federer overrated?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 06:52:04 pm »

I personally consider him the GOAT. But its pretty arbitrary, I think he has a losing record to Nadal H2H. I think people admire Federer for both his achievements but also his longevity has been insane.

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 06:52:04 pm »

Mike Kovacs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word On Sports
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »

He's been a great ambassador for the sport as well -- a globally-recognized name. I think he's got the character to match his on-court success.
CEO, Last Word On Sports INC
LastWordOnSports.com

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »

andyandy12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:59:33 am »

It's not the raw numbers, though they are still a valid argument to say he is. It's the way he has gone about it, the style, the panache. The number of smiles on faces when he produces another moment of inspiration. I think he is the greatest of all time.

christinaking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:44 am »

I don't think we can really say who is the greatest until Nadal, Federer and Djokovic retire. I think Federer is the greatest of all time at the moment, but that Djokovic will over take him.

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Last Word on Pro Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:20:55 pm »

It's hard to say a guy who currently has the most majors of all time would ever be considered overrated but I do waver on the GOAT argument with him for sure. But I wouldn't call him overrated. Federer dominated not one, not two, but now three generations of tennis players. He's 39 years old. It's remarkable what he's still doing at his age. Years ago I wrote an article, I believe when Fed was 33, looking at just how infrequent it was for tennis players to win majors past the age of 30 and Fed has now done it I believe 5 times. His longevity has been remarkable so while maybe not the GOAT, though that is debatable and there is more than enough evidence to support that claim should you be on that side of the debate, he's definitely not overrated in my opinion.
Department Manager, LWOPW

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:20:55 pm »

RandleRant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 01:22:36 am »

Federer cannot be the GOAT.

How can he be considered the GOAT when he only won one French Open and didn't beat Nadal to do it? He beat Robin Soderling.

I understand Nadal is the greatest clay-court player ever, but he found a way to win 4 US Opens and 2 Wimbledons, including beating Federer in the greatest match of all-time. Nadal stopped Federer's run at 6 straight Wimbledons.

I can't make Federer the GOAT with such a huge hole in his run. If he's not the best of his era, how can he be the best of all-time?

At their peak? With no injuries?

I'd take Nadal every single time

Last Word on Sports

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 01:22:36 am »

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:43:06 am »

Federer cannot be the GOAT.

How can he be considered the GOAT when he only won one French Open and didn't beat Nadal to do it? He beat Robin Soderling.

I understand Nadal is the greatest clay-court player ever, but he found a way to win 4 US Opens and 2 Wimbledons, including beating Federer in the greatest match of all-time. Nadal stopped Federer's run at 6 straight Wimbledons.

I can't make Federer the GOAT with such a huge hole in his run. If he's not the best of his era, how can he be the best of all-time?

At their peak? With no injuries?

I'd take Nadal every single time

That argument right there is exactly why Federer isn't my GOAT. He may be Superman but Nadal has been a pretty effective kryptonite. I firmly believe had he needed to beat Nadal to win that French, we're talking about a Federer who only has three of the four majors to his name.

Jim Biringer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:59:00 am »

I think Federer is one of the best players to ever play. We are lucky to watch all of these players on court. From 04-07 I never seen a player more dominant than Federer. And for his one french open well it doesn’t matter who is in front of you, you still have to beat them. He beat soderling. But you know his name is still on that trophy. But back to my point federer is beloved around the world there are some that don’t like him. But him and Nadal have this nice personality about them that Djokovic doesnt.

Federer’s reign started earlier than Novak and Rafa. But seeing all three play live it has been great for the sport.

LWOS_Niklas

• The Honky Bonk Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 05:29:47 pm »

Federer is, for me, one of the three greatest players to ever play.  It is just unfortunate that the other two members of the top three are contemporaries. 
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 09:28:14 pm »

Federer is, for me, one of the three greatest players to ever play.  It is just unfortunate that the other two members of the top three are contemporaries.

It's pretty incredible when you think about it. We're watching the 3 best of all time all playing together and playing longer than most previous tennis players have played. Its created some lost generations and that sucks for those guys, but this dominance has been incredible to see.

pablomosquera

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 06:21:07 pm »

No Big 3 member is overrated

You can build a reasonable case for Federer, Nadal or Djokovic as the best male player of all time. All three own records than may never be touched again.

Federer - consecutive weeks at No. 1, consecutive Slam finals, consecutive Slam semis
Nadal - Roland Garros titles, most dominant ever on a single surface
Djokovic - Won all 9 Masters at least twice, best statistical season in the Open Era (2015)

The GOAT debate comes down to preference at this point,

People all over the world pay top dollar to watch Federer play an official match or a mere exhibition, though. And he annihilates Nadal & Djokovic when it comes to endorsement earnings. 

MichaelMarti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »

Overrated?? How could you even think that? The man is still performing and he's nearly 40.

LWOS_Niklas

• The Honky Bonk Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 11:42:29 am »

It's pretty incredible when you think about it. We're watching the 3 best of all time all playing together and playing longer than most previous tennis players have played. Its created some lost generations and that sucks for those guys, but this dominance has been incredible to see.

Completely agree! Football (soccer) has the great rivalry of Messi and Ronaldo but has never really had a third equal.  For basketball, it would be like Michael Jordan, Kobe and Lebron at the same time.  Tennis fans are so damn lucky right now!
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 08:54:40 pm »

Completely agree! Football (soccer) has the great rivalry of Messi and Ronaldo but has never really had a third equal.  For basketball, it would be like Michael Jordan, Kobe and Lebron at the same time.  Tennis fans are so damn lucky right now!

Yeah and even then, Jordan never quite overlapped with LeBron. Tennis has certainly been fortunate to have the dominance of has for the past two decades. And these three don't seem ready to stop anytime soon. At least Nadal and Djokovic doesn't. Fed is definitely closing in on retirement imo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up