November 25, 2020, 11:38:45 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The Future of Minor League baseball

Started by Akshaj Gaur, November 21, 2020, 01:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Akshaj Gaur

With the impacts of the coronavirus and the previously planned reduction of teams, how do you see the role of the minors evolving over the next few years? We've already seen many teams be aggressive with their prospects, skipping the minors as a whole or making call-ups from A or A+.

Norton0723

Yeah ultimately I believe they will continue to consolidate. They don't need that many farm teams and everything else and I think they'll continue to be aggressive with the call ups as well.

Honestly the whole FA/arbitration rules needs changed as is so that teams will call their best players up instead of holding them down.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

Norton0723

DavidLatham

I think minor league baseball as we previously knew it will be a thing of the past, which is a real shame. Wouldn't be surprised if they basically make one be-all, end-all single A league while keeping AA and AA relatively untouched

Norton0723

Yeah I agree. I'm not too upset about it personally. I understand the "traditionalists and purists" might not like it and I get that, but it's rare for any of those guys to make it anyways and if it can help consolidate and get better talent to the bigs quicker then I'm ok with it.

I get that some of these guys spend a lot of time there and there's the rare case but ultimately I think talent wins out more times than not so if they're good enough, they'll eventually make it to certain levels regardless.

DavidLatham

Quote from: Norton0723 on November 21, 2020, 02:53:07 pmYeah I agree. I'm not too upset about it personally. I understand the "traditionalists and purists" might not like it and I get that, but it's rare for any of those guys to make it anyways and if it can help consolidate and get better talent to the bigs quicker then I'm ok with it.

I get that some of these guys spend a lot of time there and there's the rare case but ultimately I think talent wins out more times than not so if they're good enough, they'll eventually make it to certain levels regardless.

I grew up next to a Low-A team that almost certainly won't exist moving forward, so there is a sentimentality angle with me. That said, I do think the minors serve as a great way for getting young fans into the game. Baseball is much better experienced live, and most can't afford to go to a major league game on any sort of regular basis. Add in the fact that the minors tend to have pretty fun gimmicks to keep the kids interested and I think it could be a great way to get a much-needed younger audience. Instead, they're cutting it down

Norton0723

Those are all very good points for sure. I guess I was looking at it from a bigger angle for sure. You do make great points as well. I also live near Cleveland where you can get some super cheap Tribe tickets a lot of different times too so that kinda sways it as well.

I will say I live right near the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League and have been to a lot of games and it's always fun especially for kids and I look forward to taking my son if they continue to be something so I totally understand that as well and it's a great point.

Norton0723

Steve Drumwright LWOS

I feel bad for the cities who will lose their affiliation with a major-league team. I remember going to minor-league games as a kid thinking that some of these guys might be playing in the majors some day. Hopefully MLB provides good alternatives to these cities, though who knows how many will want to continue after losing a full season of revenue due to the pandemic.

Franchises had to be aggressive this season since there were no minors. I think how prospects are handled goes back to what we have seen previously.
Follow me on Twitter @DrummerWrites