January 18, 2021, 09:00:55 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Should the international breaks be canceled this season?

Started by mweinsteiner, November 16, 2020, 12:33:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mweinsteiner

With all the injuries/COVID cases occurring as a result of the international break, should FIFA cancel them for the time being? In my opinion, for games like the Nations League or friendlies, YES. However, it gets more complicated in South America and Africa where they're already doing WC or ACON qualifiers.

Baldspur78

I believe they should. To have players travelling around Europe during a pandemic we are trying to get under control just seems utter madness. International games, especially friendlies should be all called off. Players welfares have to come first.

MichaelMarti

I completely agree that all non-essential games should be canceled. I feel like football still feels like it lives in its own separate world.

There is a global pandemic going on, there is no reason for superspreader events like footballers travelling around

Declan Wiseman

Quote from: mweinsteiner on November 16, 2020, 12:33:16 amWith all the injuries/COVID cases occurring as a result of the international break, should FIFA cancel them for the time being? In my opinion, for games like the Nations League or friendlies, YES. However, it gets more complicated in South America and Africa where they're already doing WC or ACON qualifiers.

They really do not make a great deal of logical sense for friendlies.

In terms of competitions, then perhaps it makes more sense.

Obviously a lot of precautions are meant to be taken though, and hopefully most of the players and staff involved aren't having super spreading parties every week.

That being said it all feels like one rule for one set of people and one rule for the others!

Non-elite football is on pause, with loads of local football clubs shut down once again. Doesn't feel right.
Editor at Lastwordonsports.com

derriethickett

I think it's daft to continue with international football with the current climate.

Club football is different, clubs need to keep playing to earn money. I just think international football at this point is redundant. Increases the staff/player's chances of injury/corona. Not worth it for anyone.

prattay

For the survival of football federations of different countries, it is required. That's just the way it is. Nothing can be done.

Ross Crawford

I think Nations League should have been postponed. And those last two rounds of fixtures should only have been games that were qualifiers for major tournaments.

You can find time for those NL games next year or following as I know they also act as a qualifying path for World Cup. But just mitigate the risks this year. And make a plan for down the road.