December 04, 2020, 03:40:01 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Favorite Game of 2020?

Started by LWOS_Robbie, November 15, 2020, 10:59:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LWOS_Robbie

The year is winding down, so share your thoughts on what you believe to be the best games of 2020 to be.

In terms of indie games - and I've spoken about this title at length multiple times - Hades is my winner. Not only does it have an addictive element, where you feel like all you need is just one more round, but there's a surprising amount of lore and character-building as well. I love when the various gods interact and showcase their personalities. Makes the game feel more involved and keeps you playing.

As far as big budget titles are concerned, DOOM Eternal has to be my game of 2020. I've been a DOOM fan since the 90s and to see how far the series has come has been incredible. Eternal is just balls-to-the-wall action from start to finish and even with a story behind it, you don't necessarily need it to enjoy everything the game offers. I also like how the game has you shifting between weapons on the fly. It makes you learn how each one works, which demon is vulnerable to what, etc. I'm not an FPS guy, but Eternal is my jam this year.
Department Manager, LWOPW

Alex Richards

I haven't played as many games this year as I did in years past but Mario 3D All Stars is still a mind-bogglingly good collection of games to have on one cartridge
Department Head Of LWOPW

Alex Richards

Department Head Of LWOPW

LWOS_Robbie

Quote from: Alex Richards on November 15, 2020, 11:02:21 am
I haven't played as many games this year as I did in years past but Mario 3D All Stars is still a mind-bogglingly good collection of games to have on one cartridge
It was my first time I played Sunshine through to the end credits. That game might be a little janky and weird at points, but it still plays well and I can see why people consider it one of their personal favorites.

DavidLatham

Quote from: Alex Richards on November 15, 2020, 11:02:21 amI haven't played as many games this year as I did in years past but Mario 3D All Stars is still a mind-bogglingly good collection of games to have on one cartridge

I love the games on All-Stars, but the actual collection disappointed me. Just slapped a coat of paint on it and called it a day. I bought it and played through the games again but I feel like they could've done a lot more

Alex Richards

Quote from: DavidLatham on November 17, 2020, 10:39:02 amI love the games on All-Stars, but the actual collection disappointed me. Just slapped a coat of paint on it and called it a day. I bought it and played through the games again but I feel like they could've done a lot more

I definitely would've liked them to improve some of the older ones with some minor quality of life changes but as someone that never had the means to play N64 or Galaxy I'm just happy to play them and not have to buy old consoles
Department Head Of LWOPW

LWOS_Robbie

Especially since we have no idea when Nintendo intends on adding other consoles to their Switch Online service. I've been wanting to replay at least a few of those older N64 titles.

LWOS_Robbie

DavidLatham

Same. I need to play Majora's Mask again

LWOS_Robbie

Quote from: DavidLatham on November 17, 2020, 07:05:52 pmSame. I need to play Majora's Mask again
Played it some years back on the 3DS and it's so different from the other Zeldas but in a good way. The sense of dread that permeates throughout the game is something.

DavidLatham

Quote from: LWOS_Robbie on November 17, 2020, 10:40:11 pmPlayed it some years back on the 3DS and it's so different from the other Zeldas but in a good way. The sense of dread that permeates throughout the game is something.

I played the game on the N64 as a kid and absolutely loved it. Tried playing it on the 2DS but there's so much going on that I couldn't really get into it on a small screen. If I had an XL model I'm sure I'd have no problem playing it, and I'm sure I'd love it on the Switch

LWOS_Robbie

Quote from: DavidLatham on November 18, 2020, 07:11:13 amI played the game on the N64 as a kid and absolutely loved it. Tried playing it on the 2DS but there's so much going on that I couldn't really get into it on a small screen. If I had an XL model I'm sure I'd have no problem playing it, and I'm sure I'd love it on the Switch
I played it on the 3DS XL and it makes such a difference with the significantly bigger screen to play with. I also like how the game has a more traditional save feature. It works for the portable system and it makes the game feel not so much easier but fairer.

Alex Richards

Will we see some votes sent towards Hyrule Warriors?
Department Head Of LWOPW

DavidLatham

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to. Have you started playing it yet?

Alex Richards

Quote from: DavidLatham on November 21, 2020, 05:45:12 pmI haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to. Have you started playing it yet?

I haven't but I know Robbie got it and fans on Metacritic have liked it so far
Department Head Of LWOPW

DavidLatham

Quote from: Alex Richards on November 22, 2020, 10:40:06 amI haven't but I know Robbie got it and fans on Metacritic have liked it so far

I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I've heard mostly positive things. It's hard to hear too much though when you're trying to avoid all spoilers

LWOS_Robbie

I've been working to avoid spoilers myself, as I'm still working my way through the story of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

Having played the game for a good few hours now, I have to say it's good fun. It's definitely a Dynasty Warriors game at heart, just powering through enemies like a force of nature. I love how they've been able to recreate Hyrule pre-Calamity, as the game has a more energetic nature compared to the quiet solitude of BoTW. That said, the frame rate can be inconsistent at times, especially when you have large hoards of enemies onscreen. Doesn't make the game unplayable but it's something I've noticed over the course of several levels and missions.