November 28, 2020, 09:10:16 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Good football movies to watch?

Started by mweinsteiner, October 16, 2020, 11:49:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AWaite

The Two Escobars is on BBC iPlayer at the moment (or was until a few weeks ago) is incredible. About how drug money monopolised Colombian football and eventually led to the death of the national team captain after he scored an own goal in 1994 WC - this is just one of the many tragedies explored in the film! Very eye-opening if you have an interest in Pablo Escobar and/or South American football.

MichaelMarti

Quote from: AWaite on October 20, 2020, 08:14:32 am
The Two Escobars is on BBC iPlayer at the moment (or was until a few weeks ago) is incredible. About how drug money monopolised Colombian football and eventually led to the death of the national team captain after he scored an own goal in 1994 WC - this is just one of the many tragedies explored in the film! Very eye-opening if you have an interest in Pablo Escobar and/or South American football.

That sounds really good! It's definitely a tragedy what happened to the Colombian captain

AWaite

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 20, 2020, 08:42:39 am
That sounds really good! It's definitely a tragedy what happened to the Colombian captain

Horrific! Think the doc does a great job of showing Andres Escobar as someone who just loved football among all the corruption and drugs. Such a shame how things turned out for him and his family.

mweinsteiner

Quote from: AWaite on October 20, 2020, 08:14:32 am

I heard about that! That's just awful, and being an Argentinian myself I do have a vested interest in South American football, so thanks, I'll check it out!

Btw Argentina's been bad with match-fixing, corruption, etc. but never anything as bad as murder! We're better than that haha

derriethickett

I quickly scrolled through this thread so apologies if someone has mentioned these suggestions.

Mike Bassett: England Manager. - Ricky Tomlinson plays a lower league manager that gets handed the England job. It's a comedy and is definitely worth a watch.

There's only one Jimmy Grimble. - This is a film I watched as a kid. It would be a good 'family film night' watch for anyone with a young family. Basically, a kid finds an old pair of footie boots and he keeps scoring pingers in them.

Barry Dixon

I remember one from the 1990's called Bostock's Cup. If I recall it was quite funny.

It was about a fictitious lower league club that managed to win the FA Cup in the 70's.
Site Manager LWOF

Barry Dixon

Site Manager LWOF

mweinsteiner

Quote from: Barry Dixon on October 22, 2020, 03:38:21 pm
I remember one from the 1990's called Bostock's Cup. If I recall it was quite funny.

It was about a fictitious lower league club that managed to win the FA Cup in the 70's.

That sounds cool, more of a feel-good story too

mweinsteiner

Quote from: derriethickett on October 22, 2020, 05:19:22 am
It would be a good 'family film night' watch for anyone with a young family. Basically, a kid finds an old pair of footie boots and he keeps scoring pingers in them.

I'm not quite there yet hahaha but thanks for the suggestions!

adarshkrish99

If you're looking for a movie that's emotional but yet inspirational, then it's got to be the movie "United". It describes the journey and the death of the legendary Busby babes. Guided by Sir Matt Busby, the Busby babes carved an unforgettable legacy at a very young age. Most people still regard them as the greatest Manchester United team ever. You should probably try checking it out. 

MichaelMarti

Quote from: adarshkrish99 on October 23, 2020, 01:35:17 pm
If you're looking for a movie that's emotional but yet inspirational, then it's got to be the movie "United". It describes the journey and the death of the legendary Busby babes. Guided by Sir Matt Busby, the Busby babes carved an unforgettable legacy at a very young age. Most people still regard them as the greatest Manchester United team ever. You should probably try checking it out.

That sounds really good!