November 28, 2020, 09:36:46 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Good football movies to watch?

Started by mweinsteiner, October 16, 2020, 11:49:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mweinsteiner

Do you guys have any good football movies/TV series to recommend? (Inspiration taken from Michael Marti's books idea  ;D )

Personally, I think everyone should watch Escape To Victory if you haven't already. It's about a British POW camp in WW2 where the players end up playing a football match against the guards. It has Pele, Sylvester Stallone, and Michael Caine- what more can one ask for really? Highly recommend.

(Also, for any Ipswich Town fans, it features a lot of their squad from the 80s)

Barry Dixon

The Damned United - About Brian Clough's rise at Derby and his short spell at Leeds United

Other than that and Escape to Victory, football movies tend to be garbage. Football tends to do documentaries a lot better
Site Manager LWOF

Barry Dixon

Site Manager LWOF

Baldspur78

My all time fave is Escape to Victory! It's pretty cheesy and some of the is laughable but its a great feel good film!

AWaite

Maradona is gripping. Showcases both sides of his life perfectly. Some of the footage of players trying to kick lumps out of him shows how good he actually was.

mweinsteiner

Quote from: Barry Dixon on October 17, 2020, 05:04:59 am
The Damned United - About Brian Clough's rise at Derby and his short spell at Leeds United

Other than that and Escape to Victory, football movies tend to be garbage. Football tends to do documentaries a lot better

I'll check it out!

mweinsteiner

Completely agree about Escape to Victory @MJ. Love to see it  ;D

mweinsteiner

@Alex as a fellow Argentine, I can't say enough good about Maradona. I've seen it, great film.

Barry Dixon

For a TV series I recommend Sunderland Till I Die.

It's quite depressing as a Sunderland fan but it's done very well
Site Manager LWOF

MichaelMarti

I was a fan of the first two Goal movies as a kid hahaha.

Also, Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager, a documentary on Sir Bobby is very well done.

mweinsteiner

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 17, 2020, 12:14:27 pm
I was a fan of the first two Goal movies as a kid hahaha.

Also, Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager, a documentary on Sir Bobby is very well done.

Sounds good!

mweinsteiner

Quote from: Barry Dixon on October 17, 2020, 11:54:50 am
For a TV series I recommend Sunderland Till I Die.

It's quite depressing as a Sunderland fan but it's done very well

I saw a bit of it on Netflix, it did seem a bit depressing in a fan's perspective haha

Mike Kovacs

Fever Pitch -- the Arsenal one. Not the baseball movie.
CEO, Last Word On Sports INC
LastWordOnSports.com

Matt Lee

There's a series on Netflix. Think it'd called The English Game or The Beautiful Game - it's based on the FA Cup at the time of Etonian teams dominating, and the arrival of working class teams from places like Darwen (Blackburn)

Barry Dixon

Quote from: Matt Lee on October 17, 2020, 05:06:01 pm
There's a series on Netflix. Think it'd called The English Game or The Beautiful Game - it's based on the FA Cup at the time of Etonian teams dominating, and the arrival of working class teams from places like Darwen (Blackburn)
Watched a few episodes of that. It can be good but also quite slow at times
Site Manager LWOF

MichaelMarti

Quote from: Matt Lee on October 17, 2020, 05:06:01 pm

I agree, it's enjoyable and a nice look at history!