November 27, 2020, 01:12:21 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Who's Contract Would You Buy Out?

Started by JaredCantatore, October 22, 2020, 11:30:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JaredCantatore

Imagine you are a GM of your favorite team and can pick one contract to buy out who would it be and why? It can be for a variety of reasons. The player is not good anymore. Or the length of the contract is too long and is paying too much money. Or the player might be still productive but is blocking a young player from playing every day or even making the roster. But you can't buy out the contract and re-sign the player at a lower value.
Editor Last Word On Baseball

JaredCantatore

I will start by saying the Mets buy out Robinson Cano because he is blocking Jeff McNeil from playing his natural position.

JaredCantatore

JaredCantatore

Spotrac is a good resource to use for this. Use this link and change the teams.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/payroll/

SportsTechie17

The guy for me would be Rougned Odor of the Texas Rangers. He is under contract for the next two seasons with $24.67 million dollars guaranteed. After that, he has a team option of $13.5 million or a $3 million dollar buyout. It's a contract that the Rangers regret especially given how much money they invested into Odor and the emergence of Nick Solak over that time. You could make an argument that Solak should be the starting second baseman. Odor concluded this season with a .167/.209/.413 slash line over 148 plate appearances with 47 strikeouts. If you go back to 2019, he put up a measly .205/.283/.439 batting line with a career high 178 strikeouts. Seems like Solak can provide a lot more production for the Rangers at a much cheaper rate of pay.

JaredCantatore

JaredCantatore

Quote from: SportsTechie17 on October 22, 2020, 11:40:18 am
The guy for me would be Rougned Odor of the Texas Rangers. He is under contract for the next two seasons with $24.67 million dollars guaranteed. After that, he has a team option of $13.5 million or a $3 million dollar buyout. It's a contract that the Rangers regret especially given how much money they invested into Odor and the emergence of Nick Solak over that time. You could make an argument that Solak should be the starting second baseman. Odor concluded this season with a .167/.209/.413 slash line over 148 plate appearances with 47 strikeouts. If you go back to 2019, he put up a measly .205/.283/.439 batting line with a career high 178 strikeouts. Seems like Solak can provide a lot more production for the Rangers at a much cheaper rate of pay.

What about Elvis Andrus?

JaredCantatore

LWOSAARON

October 22, 2020, 12:07:33 pm #6 Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:37:56 pm by LWOSAARON
For the Braves, I'd probably go with Ender Inciarte.

DavidLatham

Even though they're desperate for starting pitching, I'd say Nathan Eovaldi. I'll love him forever for that 2018 run, but man is he not worth the money

noahbarnhart

For the Cubs, I would choose Jon Lester. It's been a decision looming all year, and Lester knows he has probably pitched his last game with the team. He is declining as most pitchers do with age. When he arrived he was the Cubs' ace and jump started them into contention. However, it is now 2020, and he is a 4/5 option in the rotation now. He is due to make $25 million, but his buy-out is $10 million. It would be ridiculous to pay a 36-year old pitcher that much. The team will save $15 million, and could potentially bring him back on a much more reasonable contract.

DJKleinbard

The obvious answer for the Yankees is Stanton. Ottavino and Chapman are also candidates. Ottavino for his inconsistent performances dating back to last postseason and Chapman because they just gave him an extension and he is getting up there in age.