April 14, 2021, 08:16:51 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Calder Trophy Race

Started by DougWinkey, January 20, 2021, 08:44:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DougWinkey

Quote from: Josh Young on February 17, 2021, 02:59:37 pmI think St├╝tzle is going to be moving up this list real soon. He has been looking more confident and dangerous every game. His ice time is rising too.

That'll be great to see. He's taken a backseat to Norris so far, but I would love to see him compete for the award.

DougWinkey

Here is your weekly update!

1. Kaprizov (15 GP, 4 G, 13 PTS)
2. Norris (21 GP, 4 G, 12 PTS)
3. P. Suter (20 GP, 6 G, 11 PTS)
4. Sutztle (18 GP, 5 G, 10 PTS)
5. Lankinen (14 GP, .921 sv%, 2.59 GAA PTS)

Stutzle is charging up the board in the last week, as predicted! Credit also needs to be given to Gabe Vilardi, who is just outside the top 5 after a few strong games. And while he is far down the board, we can't ignore Trevor Zegras now that he's made a debut. He is one guy who might blow up if Anaheim makes a run. 

DougWinkey

Good morning everyone! It's the weekly Calder race update!

1. Kaprizov (19 GP, 6 G, 17 PTS)
2. Stuzle (22 GP, 5 G, 14 PTS)
3. Norris (25 GP, 4 G, 13 PTS)
4. P. Suter (23 GP, 7 G, 12 PTS)
5. Lankinen (14 GP, .924 sv%, 2.55 GAA PTS)

There was no serious movement in the middle of the field since last week. The only thing truly of note is that Lafreniere seems to have pried the lid off the net and has produced in the past couple of games, but it would take a major surge to actually threaten at this stage. Chicago's main duo of Suter and Kurashev has fallen behind as Ottawa has woken up too. Lankinen is probably the best shot at this point.

Logan Rosengard

If the award really is supposed to be given to a rookie that exceeds expectations, I think Lank has this in the bag as of right now. If he falls off then it's just a race between Stutzle and Kaprizov for the trophy spot

DougWinkey

I don't think Lank is going to ever win it over a skater.

DougWinkey

It definitely helps that the pool of eligible players is not great this year. There's no flash in a Kaprizov/Stutzle race like there'd be if Laffy was involved. Having the divisions separate for the year is another weird factor because there's so little variety in competition.

The last goaltender to win was Steve Mason. He won because his main non-goalie competition included Bobby Ryan, Kris Versteeg, and Drew Doughty. That's a strange year because Stamkos probably should have won with 46 points as an 18-year-old.

DougWinkey

Weekly update and thoughts!

1. Kaprizov (23 GP, 6 G, 19 PTS)
2. Stutzle (25 GP, 6 G, 15 PTS)
3. Norris (28 GP, 5 G, 15 PTS)
4. P. Suter (26 GP, 8 G, 13 PTS)
5. Kahkonen (14 GP, .924 sv%, 2.13 GAA PTS)

Everything stayed pretty stagnant at the top except for Kahkonen overtaking Lankinen in my mind. Lankinen's numbers faded slightly in the past week while Kahkonen shined.

Also, due to an error in understanding Calder eligibility, a few players have been added that weren't originally part of my tracking. They are Eeli Tolvanen and Oliver Wahlstrom, who are 9th and 10th in my tracking, respectively. There is still plenty of time for changes though! 

DougWinkey

I added Dylan Coghlan today because he basically managed to equal Alexander Romanov's YTD output in one game. He'd had one point up to last night, but is at four now. He certainly has opportunity if any other D get hurt in Vegas.

DougWinkey

There's a new name in the top five this week!

1. Kaprizov (27 GP, 10 G, 25 PTS)
2. Stutzle (29 GP, 6 G, 18 PTS)
3. Norris (32 GP, 6 G, 16 PTS)
4. J. Roberston (20 GP, 4 G, 15 PTS)
5. Kahkonen (14 GP, .924 sv%, 2.13 GAA PTS)

Robertson has really impressed where Suter, Kurashev, and Smith have all fallen behind. If you're looking for sleeper outside of the top five, Eeli Tovanen, Oliver Wahlstrom, Gabe Vilardi and Yegor Sharangovich are all interesting cases. I should also note that while Trevor Zegras has not scored, he has already jumped more than a dozen players in total points in the 10 games he's played. It won't take much for him to jump a few more ranks.

DougWinkey

It's highly unlikely he makes a serious run despite probably burning his eligibility, but Drysdale already jumped like a dozen players with two points in his debut. He should be very exciting to watch.

ErinButler

Quote from: DougWinkey on March 19, 2021, 05:54:25 amIt's highly unlikely he makes a serious run despite probably burning his eligibility, but Drysdale already jumped like a dozen players with two points in his debut. He should be very exciting to watch.
Kinda speaks volumes about what a "normal" rookie season is, don't it?

DougWinkey

Quote from: ErinButler on March 19, 2021, 03:40:15 pmKinda speaks volumes about what a "normal" rookie season is, don't it?

Indeed!

DougWinkey

Weekly update time!

1. Kaprizov (30 GP, 10 G, 25 PTS)
2. Stutzle (31 GP, 6 G, 19 PTS)
3. J. Robertson (24 GP, 4 G, 18 PTS)
4. T. Smith (30 GP, 2 G, 17 PTS)
5. Norris (34 GP, 7 G, 17 PTS)

I dropped Kahkonen only because I don't think he'll ultimately start enough games to be considered. Smith is the big mover getting back into the top 5 with a strong couple of recent games.

The award seems like its Kaprizov's to lose, but Robertson will receive very real consideration. He is right behind Kap in terms of scoring pace; his is .75 per game compared to .83 for the Wild skater. There are still a few weeks to go though and that is plenty of time for Wahlstrom or Tolvanen to upset the balance!

DougWinkey

Are you ready for an update? Because you're getting one whether you like it or not lol.

1. Kaprizov (33 GP, 11 G, 27 PTS)
2. J. Robertson (28 GP, 7 G, 22 PTS)
3. Stutzle (33 GP, 6 G, 19 PTS)
4. T. Smith (34 GP, 2 G, 19 PTS)
5. Tolvanen (28 GP, 9 G, 18 PTS)

Tolvanen has finished his rapid climb into the top 5! That is maybe the biggest Calder story of the past several weeks. It's still Kaprizov's victory right now, but there are real cases for both Robertson and Tolvanen based on their recent surge.

Goaltending is a little messy with Kahkonen, Lankinen, and Shesterkin all fine choices for the top spot and Sorokin not far behind if New York decides to play him a little more often. We less than six full weeks remaining in the regular season and things are getting exciting!

DougWinkey

I know it's a day late, but here are updated standing!

1. Kaprizov (38 GP, 16 G, 34 PTS)
2. J. Robertson (32 GP, 8 G, 24 PTS)
3. Norris (40 GP, 10 G, 21 PTS)
4. Stutzle (37 GP, 6 G, 20 PTS)
5. Tolvanen (31 GP, 10 G, 19 PTS)

It's really just Kaprizov and everyone else at this stage. Robertson put up a good fight and there are some other fun rookies, but there's very little doubt who will win it this year. His main competition might actually be his own teammate, Kahkonen.