April 18, 2021, 06:26:24 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Calder Trophy Race

Started by DougWinkey, January 20, 2021, 08:44:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DougWinkey

I thought that with so many young players having a shot this year, it would be a good idea to track their stats over the year. These are the top five through the first week-ish of action.

1. Kaprizov (3 GP, 1 G, 4 PTS)
2. Norris (3 GP, 1 G, 3 PTS)
3. T. Smith (3 GP, 1 G, 3 PTS)
4. Romanov (3 GP, 1 G, 2 PTS)
5. Sharangovich (3 GP, 1 G, 2 PTS)

Star rookie Lafreniere is off to a very slow start and none of the goalies are doing much. I'll update this each week on Wednesdays! Is there anyone you all are looking at this year?

Dan Mount

Early to tell, but Karpizov has been fantastic so far this season.
Marketing Manager, Last Word on Hockey

Dan Mount

DougWinkey

Quote from: Dan Mount on January 21, 2021, 04:29:14 pmEarly to tell, but Karpizov has been fantastic so far this season.

You are right about that! He's a very early favorite, but it's fantastic to see Norris and Smith not far off his pace through the first week.

Dan Mount

Quote from: DougWinkey on January 21, 2021, 06:30:54 pmYou are right about that! He's a very early favorite, but it's fantastic to see Norris and Smith not far off his pace through the first week.

I think Shesterkin and Lafreniere will make a charge at some point.

DougWinkey

Quote from: Dan Mount on January 21, 2021, 06:35:17 pmI think Shesterkin and Lafreniere will make a charge at some point.

Not impossible, but they are already way behind in a short year. Shesterkin needs a lion's share of starts to get a large enough sample and Laffy needs to do just anything. He has 52 games to outscore guys who already have three or more points ahead of him.

ErinButler

Don't sleep on Hoglander! He's established himself on the Canucks second line and is getting PP time, too.

DougWinkey

He's elbowed his way into the top 5! I'm waiting until tonight's slate resolves before I update the board here.

DougWinkey

Slight changes!

1. Kaprizov (7 GP, 1 G, 6 PTS)
2. T. Smith (6 GP, 1 G, 6 PTS)
3. Hoglander (8 GP, 1 G, 4 PTS)
4. Suter (7 GP, 2 G, 4 PTS)
5. Vanecek (4 GP, .918 sv%, 2.70 GAA)

I dropped Norris from the Top 5 because I think Vanecek has been more impressive being the regular while Samsonov is out/terrible. Romanov has tumbled with a recent drought. My eye is on Cozens, who has elbowed his way to just outside the top 5 with 2 goals and three points in six games.

DougWinkey

Here is your weekly update! Not much changed since last week

1. Kaprizov (11 GP, 3 G, 9 PTS)
2. T. Smith (9 GP, 3 G, 8 PTS)
3. Hoglander (13 GP, 3 G, 6 PTS)
4. P. Suter (11 GP, 4 G, 6 PTS)
5. Lankinen (7 GP, .935 sv%, 2.09 GAA)

Josh Norris is also hanging in with two goals and six points in 9 games. Pierre-Oliver Joseph had a surge with four assists in six games, but having games postponed obviously isn't great. Finally, we got another debut! This one from Arthur Kaliyev, who scored a goal in his first contest. I don't think he can really challenge for the Calder, but it will be fun to see how much LA deploys him.

DougWinkey

Weekly update! Things are staying fairly static despite multiple teams paused for health reasons.

1. Kaprizov (11 GP, 3 G, 9 PTS)
2. T. Smith (9 GP, 3 G, 8 PTS)
3. P. Suter (14 GP, 5 G, 8 PTS)
4. 3 players with 7 pts
5. Lankinen (9 GP, .933 sv%, 2.17 GAA

The three players in fourth are Hoglander, Norris and Chicago's Kurashev, who has snuck into things despite being over looked earlier. Defence is seeing some people rise in the last week with Jusso Valimaki and Evan Bouchard making waves. Having roughly a half-dozen teams means that a lot of players expected to compete haven't played for a while.

rivar1jm

As of right now it's Kaprizov's to lose imo. Obviously we're only a quarter of a way through the season but he's nothing short of astounding

DougWinkey

It's entirely possible, but Suter is going to make things tough. I also like Smith just because he seems to have seized a major role on New Jersey's blueline.

We can't rule out Lankinen being a goaltending rock out of nowhere.

DougWinkey

Weekly update!

1. P. Suter (17 GP, 6 G, 10 PTS)
2. Norris (17 GP, 3 G, 9 PTS)
3. Kaprizov (12 GP, 3 G, 9 PTS)
4. Kurashev (16 GP, 4 G, 8 PTS)
5. Lankinen (9 GP, .933 sv%, 2.17 GAA

There was some definite movement in the past week, but some of that is because Minnesota and New Jersey weren't playing for a while. Smith is lurking in a tie with Kurashev in points, but I think Lankinen remains the best Calder storyline this year if he keeps it up. I just don't know how likely a goalie will ultimately win.

NickMancini

Lankinen has been a great story, especially with the team that is front of him. It would be cool to see a goalie win the Calder

Josh Young

I think St├╝tzle is going to be moving up this list real soon. He has been looking more confident and dangerous every game. His ice time is rising too.