February 24, 2021, 10:44:39 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Are the Padres Jumping the Gun?

Started by Ross Crawford, December 29, 2020, 07:09:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Crawford

I think it's awesome the Padres are rocking the boat and going all in.
They realized they were still way off the talent of the Dodgers and are trying to match the pitching arsenal.

But I just worry a little. Snell is hot and cold from season to season, and taking Darvish AFTER a career year in a shortened season is risky.

Have they jumped the gun a little or is it a case of "we have to give it a go and at least no one can say we didn't give it our all.?"

DavidLatham

I love the aggressiveness, and they had the farm system to get these guys. The Snell deal though was highway robbery

DavidLatham

Ross Crawford

December 29, 2020, 12:50:17 pm #2 Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:00:39 pm by Ross Crawford
Quote from: DavidLatham on December 29, 2020, 11:50:32 amI love the aggressiveness, and they had the farm system to get these guys. The Snell deal though was highway robbery

I agree generally. starting pitching was the biggest drop off positionally from Dodgers and especially with Clevi out for 2021.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Rays make AT LEAST 1 or 2 of those players into key contributors. Just with how they work.  Patino is a great arm they will find a way to use well

DougWinkey

I don't think San Diego is jumping things much at all. It seems highly unlikely that the players they traded were going to make an impact during the current championship window with the exception of Davies and Meija. They've replaced both of those with better players. This is a very good series of moves that makes the Padres one of the three best teams in the NL.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 29, 2020, 11:50:32 amI love the aggressiveness, and they had the farm system to get these guys. The Snell deal though was highway robbery

Absolutely. Still scratching my head on that one but that's Tampa for ya. They'll turn those prospects into regular contributors in no time lol
Department Manager, LWOPW

LWOS_Marilee

There is always a risk to a win now mentality but I think SD 100 percent is making the right call here by prioritizing pitching. Tatis/Machado are one of the best power punches in baseball and now to add Snell and Darvish to sure up the rotation gives those bats a boost. SD is going to be tough to beat this year and I look forward to seeing their battles with LA for sure!

LWOS_Marilee

Norton0723

I absolutely love what SD is doing. We saw this coming in the past couple years with the signings they made and fast tracking their top prospects. I love that they are recognizing their window and going for it.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

DavidLatham

I'm rooting hard for them this year. The Sox don't stand a chance so I'm Team Padres this year

Norton0723

I'd love a Padres/Indians World Series... I don't think Cleveland will make it but this would be my dream WS.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: Norton0723 on December 30, 2020, 06:49:21 pmI absolutely love what SD is doing. We saw this coming in the past couple years with the signings they made and fast tracking their top prospects. I love that they are recognizing their window and going for it.

Same here. They are really taking their opportunity and going all in. They are gonna be a fun team to watch this year for sure.