January 19, 2021, 04:20:24 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Adam Silver is more open to NBA expansion than before

Started by Raheem Farhan Bashir, December 22, 2020, 07:58:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Raheem Farhan Bashir

December 22, 2020, 07:58:17 pm Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:06:40 pm by Raheem Farhan Bashir
Source: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30576045/adam-silver-acknowledges-possibility-nba-expansion

Adam Silver recently revealed that NBA expansion has been talked about more than compared to before the coronavirus pandemic. He acknowledged the opportunity of expanding over 30 teams. It is not going to happen today, but it does mean that expansion has become more of a possibility.

I think Montreal and Seattle are going to be the two cities that are going to go after an NBA team the most. The Seattle Supersonics was around from 1967-2008 and the NHL's Seattle Kraken will most likely bid to bring the Sonics back while Montreal has been working hard behind the scenes to get an NBA team and is now becoming an NBA hotbed in Canada.

Other cities in my opinion that could get an NBA team include Las Vegas, Vancouver, Mexico City, and Louisville. The Vancouver Grizzlies was an NBA team that existed from 1995-01, Mexico City has a G-League team, and Las Vegas currently has a WNBA team. Do not know much about Louisville, but have heard that basketball is a big sport in that city.

MrSplashMan19

If the NBA expands to 32, I think the cities should be Seattle and Kansas City. Slide Memphis to the eastern conference.
At least my takes will never be as bad as 6-year-old me thinking the winless Dolphins would beat the undefeated Patriots.

MrSplashMan19

At least my takes will never be as bad as 6-year-old me thinking the winless Dolphins would beat the undefeated Patriots.

Norton0723

Absolutely agree. Seattle is the first must no matter what.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

MichaelMarti

Seattle has to be first. But, I wouldn't surprised if Vegas follows suit - just too much money making potential in that for the NBA to not be interested.

MrSplashMan19

Quote from: MichaelMarti on December 29, 2020, 10:32:48 amI wouldn't surprised if Vegas follows suit

Vegas is a good shout. It's a huge, expanding market.

LWOS_Marilee

Expansion has to include Seattle hands down. Agree with everybody else. This city has mourned their Sonics and would welcome a team back with open arms.
Department Manager, LWOPW

LWOS_Marilee

Dan Mount

I just want to see if Clay Bennett will be the only one that votes against Seattle coming back into the league. I'd love to be at the first game between OKC and Seattle in the Pacific Northwest.
Marketing Manager, Last Word on Hockey

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: Dan Mount on January 05, 2021, 09:14:05 pmI just want to see if Clay Bennett will be the only one that votes against Seattle coming back into the league. I'd love to be at the first game between OKC and Seattle in the Pacific Northwest.

That would be incredible. Ashame it never got to happen when KD was still in OKC.

Dan Mount

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on January 09, 2021, 12:21:06 pmThat would be incredible. Ashame it never got to happen when KD was still in OKC.

Part of me thinks KD was still bitter about the move because he loved Seattle. I could see being part of the ownership group once he retires.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: Dan Mount on January 10, 2021, 03:11:54 pmPart of me thinks KD was still bitter about the move because he loved Seattle. I could see being part of the ownership group once he retires.

That would be awesome because you're right. His heart was definitely with the SuperSonics.

LWOS_Marilee

Here's a question. Since we all believe Seattle has to get a team in the expansion, would you go with a new name or bring back the beloved SuperSonics? I'd personally like to see the Sonics name. They could still rebrand with new colors and even a new logo but the name means so much to that city and I think fans would love to have their SuperSonica back.

Dan Mount

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on January 10, 2021, 06:05:27 pmHere's a question. Since we all believe Seattle has to get a team in the expansion, would you go with a new name or bring back the beloved SuperSonics? I'd personally like to see the Sonics name. They could still rebrand with new colors and even a new logo but the name means so much to that city and I think fans would love to have their SuperSonica back.

It's kind of like the Winnipeg Jets situation. I don;t think the fan base will accept anything but the Sonics.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: Dan Mount on January 10, 2021, 06:18:39 pmIt's kind of like the Winnipeg Jets situation. I don;t think the fan base will accept anything but the Sonics.

Agreed

Raheem Farhan Bashir

Quote from: MichaelMarti on December 29, 2020, 10:32:48 amSeattle has to be first. But, I wouldn't surprised if Vegas follows suit - just too much money making potential in that for the NBA to not be interested.

It looks like you are right. David Aldridge of the Athletic stated that Seattle will get the 31st NBA team, while the two front-runners for the 32nd team (Las Vegas and Vancouver). I prefer Montreal as the 32nd team, but I would like to see Vancouver get their team back. It would re-create a Pacific Northwest rivalry with Portland and Seattle and bring back the Naismith Cup between Vancouver and Toronto.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/expansion-considerations-unlikely-until-2022/?fbclid=IwAR3JphG4jb84P4MF1I02ZuA51FLLWcIChH_qfLf8xWqSQ8BEWCDmbFOuI9g

Dan Mount

Vegas has done really well in the NHL and now NFL. I think they get it next after Seattle. Just move Memphis or New Orleans east.