SMF - Just Installed!

Any good book recommendations?

Started by DJKleinbard, December 20, 2020, 09:34:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DJKleinbard

I read the following baseball books in 2020, and I would recommend all of them:

-Full Count by David Cone and Jack Curry
-Game of Shadows by Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada
-Only the Ball: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams by Robert Peterson
-Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Pennington

Last year, I started The Big Fella: Babe Ruth and the World He Created by Jane Leavy. I picked it back up, and I am currently trying to finish it

DJKleinbard

The third book is supposed to be Only the Ball Was White*

DJKleinbard

DougWinkey

This was my list of baseball books in 2020

SABRs 50 at 50 ed. by Bill Nowlin
Once Upon a Team by Jon Springer
Swing Kings by Jared Diamond
Intangibles by Joan Ryan
Inside Game by Keith Law
Future Value by Eric Longenhagen and Kiley McDaniel
Baseball Between the Numbers ed. by Jonah Keri
The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri

I've got a few interesting baseball books coming up in 2021 too including Jay Jaffe's Cooperstown Casebook.

DavidLatham

Mariano Rivera's autobiography is a must-read. Ted Williams also wrote a book (that I'm blanking on the name of) which is basically the hitter's bible.

DougWinkey

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 21, 2020, 11:50:00 amMariano Rivera's autobiography is a must-read. Ted Williams also wrote a book (that I'm blanking on the name of) which is basically the hitter's bible.

You're thinking of The Science of Hitting.

DavidLatham

DavidLatham

DJKleinbard

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 21, 2020, 11:50:00 amMariano Rivera's autobiography is a must-read. Ted Williams also wrote a book (that I'm blanking on the name of) which is basically the hitter's bible.

I'll have to look into the Rivera book. That sounds like a great read. Im currently reading Doc: The Life of Roy Halladay. It's not the greatest sports book I have ever read, but Halladay is one of my favorite players of all time so I am flying through it rather quickly and finding it hard to put down

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: DJKleinbard on December 20, 2020, 12:26:00 pmThe third book is supposed to be Only the Ball Was White*

That sounds like a fantastic read. That title alone sounds incredibly powerful.
Department Manager, LWOPW

LWOS_Marilee

A great book I have been reading on and off over the years (it's my beach read lol), is called Baseball in the Garden of Eden: The Secret History of the Early Game, by John Thorn. I'd reccomend it to any baseball historian esp one who seeks to uncover the true story behind the legend/myth of the early game. Here is a review someone from NYT did of the book if you want to dig a little deeper.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/books/review/book-review-baseball-in-the-garden-of-eden-by-john-thorn.html

DJKleinbard

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on January 03, 2021, 08:45:47 amThat sounds like a fantastic read. That title alone sounds incredibly powerful.

I saw it in a display case at HOF when I was there for 2019 induction weekend and knew I had to get a copy. It was written in the late 1960s by a resident of my hometown, as well.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: DJKleinbard on January 07, 2021, 08:19:12 amI saw it in a display case at HOF when I was there for 2019 induction weekend and knew I had to get a copy. It was written in the late 1960s by a resident of my hometown, as well.

Oh wow, what an awesome coincidence!