February 26, 2021, 12:25:07 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Who can reach 3,000 Strikeouts?

Started by DJKleinbard, December 17, 2020, 04:20:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DJKleinbard

Inspired by the MLB Instagram account, which active players do you think will strikeout 3,000 batters? Kershaw, Scherzer, and Greinke are the locks in my mind unless Greinke retires after next year.

I also think Chris Sale, Gerrit Cole, Jacob deGrom, and Stephen Strasburg have legitimate chances, but I can't call them locks at this point given either recent injuries or how many Ks they currently have at their current age

DavidLatham

If deGrom stays healthy I think he's the closest thing to a lock there is. Of course, staying healthy for that long is hard for pitchers

DavidLatham

DougMurray

My bets on Kershaw judging from the little I've seen

MrSplashMan19

Scherzer probably gets to it in early '22.

Greinke probably needs two full seasons.

Kershaw probably gets it in the middle of '23.

Beyond those, Gerrit Cole may be the only one with a great chance. If he continues to strike out 11+ per 9, the 200, 250, or even 300 again, K seasons will come in full 162-game seasons. He turned 30 in September, and he's already over 1,400 K's. If he averaged 200 strikeouts per season for the rest of his NYY contract, he gets there.

Jacob deGrom gives me reservations. Sure, he likely has many 250 K seasons left, but he's going to be 33 in June. He would have to average 250 strikeouts per full season until he's 40 to get there.

Beyond deGrom, I guess Bieber could get there one day. He struck out 250 guys in 2019 and had 14 K/9 in 2020. Again, it assumes health and that he pitches for 12 more seasons (and full 162-game seasons).
At least my takes will never be as bad as 6-year-old me thinking the winless Dolphins would beat the undefeated Patriots.

Nate Freeman

Felix and Hamels are relatively close as well. If they can remain healthy and look some semblance of their former selves for another couple years (unlikely), they could push it too.

DavidLatham

Quote from: Nate Freeman on December 18, 2020, 05:49:53 pmFelix and Hamels are relatively close as well. If they can remain healthy and look some semblance of their former selves for another couple years (unlikely), they could push it too.

How many is Hamels at?

DavidLatham

DougWinkey

Mad Max seems like a good bet. I could see Greinke, Cole and Kershaw too. As far as players under the age of 29, I could see Buehler and Flaherty making serious runs at 3000 as well.

MrSplashMan19

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 19, 2020, 01:22:55 amHow many is Hamels at?

2,560. He'd need about 3 years at the level he pitched in 2019 (143 Ks, 9.1 K/9)
At least my takes will never be as bad as 6-year-old me thinking the winless Dolphins would beat the undefeated Patriots.