February 26, 2021, 11:32:18 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Free Agency

Started by JaredCantatore, December 09, 2020, 05:54:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JaredCantatore

Do you think the news that the NL might not have the DH in 2021 ignite the fires where offensive players start signing contracts?
Editor Last Word On Baseball

DavidLatham

The Red Sox have been linked to Kluber, I'd be thrilled if they landed him

DavidLatham

DougWinkey

Quote from: JaredCantatore on December 09, 2020, 05:54:18 amDo you think the news that the NL might not have the DH in 2021 ignite the fires where offensive players start signing contracts?

I think what it could do is push a slightly larger proportion of pitchers to NL teams because they'll get to throw against other pitchers some of the time. I need to think about hitting though.

Norton0723

Yes I definitely think so. I think Nelson Cruz will for sure stay in the AL if the NL doesn't have it. I had read some rumors that he's been waiting for the news one way or another.

Quote from: JaredCantatore on December 09, 2020, 05:54:18 amDo you think the news that the NL might not have the DH in 2021 ignite the fires where offensive players start signing contracts?
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

DJKleinbard

I think having a definitive answer will help, but no DH could also stall some things if some NL teams might have been considering a certain player with the hopes that DH would be an option.

Norton0723

Completely agree. I wish they would just make both leagues DH already.

Quote from: DJKleinbard on December 09, 2020, 05:43:13 pmI think having a definitive answer will help, but no DH could also stall some things if some NL teams might have been considering a certain player with the hopes that DH would be an option.

Norton0723

DJKleinbard

Quote from: Norton0723 on December 10, 2020, 04:43:38 pmCompletely agree. I wish they would just make both leagues DH already.

As someone who grew up a Yankees/AL fan, I actually always liked the pitcher hitting just because it was different. I know it will inevitably become a permanent thing when the CBA is negotiated after next season, though, so it's not a hill I'm going to die on

DavidLatham

As an AL fan growing up I hope the NL gets the DH full-time. One substitution every so often doesn't offset what's essentially a free out every ninth batter

DougWinkey

I wonder if we'll start to see much movement now that the Winter Meetings and Rule 5 are complete. Nothing much happened, but there's like that much more of an idea around what teams are looking for.

Steve Drumwright LWOS

The DH will return in 2021. There are negotiations going on regarding the return of the expanded playoffs we saw in 2020.

More to the point of the question, I don't think free agency will heat up until after Christmas. You might see some middling players sign, especially older guys, but the top free agents are going to play the long game.
Follow me on Twitter @DrummerWrites

Norton0723

Yeah I understand the novelty and the tradition of the pitcher hitting but it's just bad. Could you imagine if the Western Conference's 3 pointer was 4 points but the Eastern Conference's was still only 3? It's just dumb really when you think about it having different rules.

Not only that but there's been so many unnecessary injuries to pitchers hitting and running.

DavidLatham

Sidenote: MLB free agency is the wooooooorst. Just months of staring contests

Norton0723

For sure. NBA especially pops off almost right away and NFL is faster moving as well. MLB definitely needs some reform to it's FA and to the contract situations for sure.

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 12, 2020, 04:06:48 amSidenote: MLB free agency is the wooooooorst. Just months of staring contests

Ross Crawford

Perhaps waiting until after Christmas to allow formal negotiations/trades/transactions to begin would help?

NFL waits until two months after the Super Bowl for any deals to happen.
World Series finishes start of November. Have a "League year start date" middle of January would mean everyone knows where we are at, no deals will happen until then.
There's no uncertainty that way.

Not sure teams will go for it but just a simple thought.
Better for fans, not waiting around for news. League can make a day out of it like NFL do with "Free Agency Frenzy" every year.

SportsTechie17

I believe the players that would benefit the most from this type of announcement are those corner outfielders that weren't tendered a contract earlier this month. So guys like Kyle Schwarber, Eddie Rosario, and even Adam Duvall. Of course, Marcell Ozuna would benefit as well because the Braves can't bring him back if they don't have a DH spot. Rather, that forces Ozuna and his camp to focus solely on AL teams. I really wish the MLB would come to a definitive answer regarding the DH and other rule changes from this past season.