February 26, 2021, 11:54:26 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Dream Baseball Job

Started by DougWinkey, December 02, 2020, 04:22:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DougWinkey

What would a dream job in baseball be if you could just pick? Do you think everyone would just say owner or commissioner? I think being a minor league development coordinator or scout would be so fun.

DJKleinbard

Are we talking strictly from a business/baseball ops perspective? Ive worked in sports business as a MiLB sales AE. Wasn't as fun as I thought, but it was still cool being at the ballpark every day.

I think it would be cool to work in baseball development and eventually give input/make decisions on roster construction

DJKleinbard

Steve Drumwright LWOS

I think I am of the same mindset as Doug. I would love to oversee the minors. Always had a passion for prospects and minor-league baseball. Plus, you would travel to your affiliates to watch and analyze, as well as consult with the major-league side about player movement.
Follow me on Twitter @DrummerWrites

Norton0723

I have always thought it would be awesome to be a talent scout for an MLB team. Go out and watch the guys and get to report back to the GM all your takes and advice on specific players. That sounds like the dream to me.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

DavidLatham

I mean my dream baseball job is ace for the Boston Red Sox. If we're talking a non-player thing though I'd love to work in a front office on the analytic side

WaldoTerrier

I think being a manger would be exciting. Putting together different lineups and having players at different positions based on the analytics every day is really appealing to me.

Norton0723

Working in the Front Office would definitely be amazing as well.
Follow me on Twitter @norton0723

LWOS_Marilee

I had the opportunity to meet a few minor league GMs when I went to the winter meetings a few years ago. Great experience. But anyway, those guys talked about how they aren't traditional GMs as you think of them in the majors. They organize the promotions, they work in the office, they handle fan service and community outreach. Basically they do everything. And just about every one of them talked about how much they loved it. So I think that kind of job would be fun but for me, it's always been to be in the booth. I pretty much wanted to be a sports caster as soon as I went to college and while my path has gone a different way, being a commentator for MLB would def rank up there as my dream job in baseball. Either that or being the Phillie Phanatic lol.
Department Manager, LWOPW

WaldoTerrier

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on December 06, 2020, 08:16:25 amI had the opportunity to meet a few minor league GMs when I went to the winter meetings a few years ago. Great experience. But anyway, those guys talked about how they aren't traditional GMs as you think of them in the majors. They organize the promotions, they work in the office, they handle fan service and community outreach. Basically they do everything. And just about every one of them talked about how much they loved it. So I think that kind of job would be fun but for me, it's always been to be in the booth. I pretty much wanted to be a sports caster as soon as I went to college and while my path has gone a different way, being a commentator for MLB would def rank up there as my dream job in baseball. Either that or being the Phillie Phanatic lol.
I worked alongside those folks for years working in concessions, and I can definitely tell you that it's a grind. There were few things greater than being at the baseball stadium during the summer. However, I know firsthand that those folks who helped with all of those duties at the minor league level were working from 8am-1am most game days.

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: WaldoTerrier on December 06, 2020, 12:44:15 pmI worked alongside those folks for years working in concessions, and I can definitely tell you that it's a grind. There were few things greater than being at the baseball stadium during the summer. However, I know firsthand that those folks who helped with all of those duties at the minor league level were working from 8am-1am most game days.

Yep, it's nonstop and as the guys told us, it's not as glamorous as the majors perhaps make it look.
Department Manager, LWOPW

DougWinkey

Quote from: DJKleinbard on December 03, 2020, 07:43:33 amAre we talking strictly from a business/baseball ops perspective? Ive worked in sports business as a MiLB sales AE. Wasn't as fun as I thought, but it was still cool being at the ballpark every day.

I think it would be cool to work in baseball development and eventually give input/make decisions on roster construction

I had originally conceived of this question while thinking of solely operations jobs, but certainly anything is open! Working for the HOF or one of the top sites like BP or Baseball America seems like it would be more fascinating than fun if research in the public domain is one's thing.

Steve Drumwright LWOS

Working at the Hall of Fame would be very cool. Just being around that history on a daily basis would be the definition of something dreamy.
Follow me on Twitter @DrummerWrites

SportsTechie17

I would say my dream job in baseball would definitely be to be a Director of Player Development. I would like to have that type of impact on the baseball club and provide insight/input into how various players are progressing in the different levels of the organization. It's a challenging job and one that seemingly doesn't stop, but it would be really cool to track the progress of a top prospects and see which ones end up having the biggest impact at the big league level.

DougMurray

Probably play by play seems fun time goes by