February 25, 2021, 06:36:42 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The Future of Minor League baseball

Started by Akshaj Gaur, November 21, 2020, 08:35:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLatham

Quote from: LWOSAARON on December 07, 2020, 06:45:22 amLittle league baseball is almost non-existent where I live now. 10 years ago it was a different story. Each league had about 6-10 teams in every age group. Very sad how things have changed

Exactly. And for reference I'm 26 so it wasn't THAT long ago when I was playing Little League or Babe Ruth

DJKleinbard

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 07, 2020, 07:49:53 amExactly. And for reference I'm 26 so it wasn't THAT long ago when I was playing Little League or Babe Ruth

It's odd because it is the same in my area. We had 8 Babe Ruth teams when I played (I'm 24), and last I heard it was down to 4. However, I remember around the time of the LLWS last year, ESPN was reporting that Little League participation was up 3,000,000 compared to 2013. It sounds like they're doing an ok job of getting younger kids to play, but a bad job at retention as they get older

DJKleinbard

DavidLatham

Quote from: DJKleinbard on December 09, 2020, 05:41:34 pmIt's odd because it is the same in my area. We had 8 Babe Ruth teams when I played (I'm 24), and last I heard it was down to 4. However, I remember around the time of the LLWS last year, ESPN was reporting that Little League participation was up 3,000,000 compared to 2013. It sounds like they're doing an ok job of getting younger kids to play, but a bad job at retention as they get older

Lacrosse took a lot of them in my old town

DJKleinbard

Quote from: DavidLatham on December 10, 2020, 02:45:37 amLacrosse took a lot of them in my old town

Same in my area. The AD at my high school wouldn't let a lacrosse team happen out our school because he knew it would effect programs like baseball and track. Unfortunately, he passed away my freshman year, and then we had a lacrosse team by my senior year. The programs are still competitive at the hs level but a ton more kids are going to lacrosse and starting to play it earlier, too

DougMurray

I imagine things are going to be quite limited, with how California is going that regional scene is massively affected