March 05, 2021, 12:24:13 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Favorite Art Style in a Game?

Started by LWOS_Robbie, November 17, 2020, 05:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LWOS_Robbie

This doesn't necessarily mean high-fidelity, like the best-looking games in the world, but ones where the art style catches your eye, where the character designs and overall aesthetic stick with you.

One game with a striking art style that immediately comes to mind is Okami. This is a game heavily rooted in Japanese culture and it can be felt through the game's art style.

From cherry blossoms spreading throughout lush, green fields to the cel-shaded painting-like look that fits Okami in general, it just works. The game is a few generations old, but its style ensures that it won't age out compared to more realistic titles.

Department Manager, LWOPW

Alex Richards

I adored the art from Tearaway.  The paper aesthetic was done really well and it was so creative
Department Head Of LWOPW

Alex Richards

Department Head Of LWOPW

DavidLatham

LWOS_Robbie

Quote from: Alex Richards on November 18, 2020, 01:01:10 amI adored the art from Tearaway.  The paper aesthetic was done really well and it was so creative
Nice choice! I don't think Tearaway gets enough love, but it's such a fun 3D platformer that maintains its charm throughout.

QuoteFantastic choice with Okami
It's one of my top ten favorite games of all time. I'll go back and play it every few years, I never tire of it.

Alex Richards

Quote from: LWOS_Robbie on November 18, 2020, 10:36:19 amNice choice! I don't think Tearaway gets enough love, but it's such a fun 3D platformer that maintains its charm throughout.

It was doomed to stay on the Vita which never really took off outside hardcore weirdos like me that were desperate to play Persona 4 Gold and other Japanese ports haha.  That said it is a really charming and unique game that gets the most out of the Vita's hardware
Department Head Of LWOPW

Robert Glasier

Jet Set Radio future is high up on there.

but No More Heroes Though.

LWOS_Robbie

Quote from: Robert Glasier on November 18, 2020, 03:18:24 pmJet Set Radio future is high up on there.

but No More Heroes Though.
Dude, I'm so happy the No More Heroes games are on the Switch now. Definitely going to pick those up sometime.