It was almost a month ago now that I posted 40 Amazing Football Facts. If you haven’t read that yet, it’s worth a few minutes of your time, so go have a peak. Today I bring you 50 Random Yet Amazing Facts about the English Premiership. I’m sure some you will be familiar with, but I’m equally sure there will be some that are sure to surprise. So, enough of a preamble, let’s get to the list…
1. Sheffield Utd’s Brian Deane scored the first goal in the English Premiership history.
2. No English manager has ever won the league title. Seriously.
3. English premiership started on 15th august 1992
4. Ryan Giggs’ dad played rugby for Wales
5. The Premiership was formed on 20th Feb 1992
6. Since 94-95 season only Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal have won league
7. Sir Alex Ferguson has won 12 premier league titles
8. Sponsors: Carling 1993-2001, Barclay Card 2001-2004 and Barclays 2004 to now
9. The first Sky television rights agreement was worth 304million over 5 years
10. Ryan Giggs has played in every Premier league season
11. Kevin Keegan’s quote “I would love it if we beat them. Love it!”, still fondly remembered in football.
12. The highest scoring game was Man United 9-0 defeat of Ipswich in 94-95 season, Andy Cole scoring 5 times.
13. Blackburn leads the red card charts with an amazing 75 red cards
14. Chelsea lead yellow card charts with over 1200 bookings
15. 2003-2004 Arsenal went the whole season unbeaten, thus earning the moniker “Invincibles”
16. Alan Shearer leads scoring charts with 260 premiership goals
17. Frank Lampard has 161 from midfield – an unbelievable amount for a non-striker.
18. Chelsea scored a whooping 103 goals in the 2009-10 title win
19. Swindon let in 100goals in 1993-94 season
20. Alan Shearer scored 11 premiership hat tricks
21. Fernando Torres at 50million is the highest transfer between English clubs
22. Ledley King scored fastest goal after just 10seconds
23. David Beckham scored that unreal halfway line goal against Wimbledon on the opening day of 1996-97 season
24. Sunderland(05-06) and Derby(07-08) both only won one home game in a season
25. Most away wins in a season was Chelsea 2004-2005
26. The most consecutive wins was 10 by Arsenal (10 Feb 2002 to 24 Aug 2002)
27. Derby went an amazing 32games without a win in 2007-08 season
28. Highest attendance 76,398 Man Utd vs. Blackburn 2007
29. Lowest attendance 3,039 Wimbledon vs. Everton 1993
30. Most points in a season Chelsea with 95 points in 2004-05 season.
31. Most Premiership appearances Ryan Giggs 612 and counting
32. Oldest goal scorer was Teddy Sheringham at 40 years and 268 days
33. Most clean sheets 173 by David James
34. Most yellow cards Kevin Davies with 100 bookings
35. Earliest kick off 11-15 Man City vs. Everton 2005
36. Most assists Ryan Giggs with 127 and counting
37. Most red cards Patrick Viera,Duncan Ferguson and Richard Dunne with 8
38. There wasn’t a single corner in the Chelsea vs. Wigan 21st Aug 2013
39. Kevin Gillespie,Dave Kitson and Andreas Johansson were all sent off without touching the ball
39. Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United, and Tottenham are the only teams to compete in every Premiership season
40. Around 63% of the league’s players are non-British players.
41. Eric Cantona scored the Premiership’s first hatrick playing for Leeds vs. Spurs
42. The first televised Premiership goal was scored by Teddy Sheringham
43. First keeper to score a goal was Peter Schmeichel in 2001 for Aston Villa
44. The first player to reach 100 Premiership goals was Alan Shearer
45. The first Premiership goal of the season award went to Dalian Atkinson for Villa against Wimbledon.
46. The first African player in Premiership was Peter Ndlovu for Coventry City in Aug 1992
47. Man Utd won the first Premiership title with 84 points.
48. 2003-2004 was the Season Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea
49. Sir Alex Ferguson is only manager to be in charge ever since Premiership begun.
50. Wayne Rooney is the ugliest Premiership player ever (just joking)
Feel free to comment on any of these below, or join thousands of footy fans as they discuss the beautiful game at r/football.
Don’t forget to follow our footy team – @TonyNYGooner and @TwoLeftCleats. And while you’re at it, give the site a follow – @lastwordonsport.
Interested in writing for LastWordOnSports? Visit our “Join Our Team” page to learn how!
photo credit: vagueonthehow via photopin cc