NFL Top and Bottom Power Rankings
Week five is complete and we are down to two teams currently undefeated (Houston and Atlanta) along with one team yet to register a win (Cleveland). But where do they stand in the power rankings? Who continues to impress (or depress as the case may be) after another week of upsets and emotions? Let’s jump right in by looking at the five teams lowest in our Power Rankings.
28. Kansas City Chiefs – at 1-4 this team is in big trouble, and their record isn’t even their biggest problem! Despite being 1-4 they can be at the top of their division with just 1 more win – which is quite sad, actually. But with fans screaming for GM Scott Pioli and QB Matt Cassel to lose their jobs, things became even worse when they cheered for the QB’s head injury against Baltimore on Sunday, which is a real low-point for the KC fans involved. However, in comes Brady Quinn who went 3 for 3 in his very short stint. While not much good has happened since his Irish days, this could be the new leaf this team needs badly… sometimes change is good!
29. Carolina Panthers – at 1-4 and a crucial loss in Tampa Bay, and with the Saints terrible form to start the year, that big week one victory we thought was the start of something good, seems to have lost its lustre. Having the Falcons at 5-0 and looking great, the Panthers don’t have even a shot at winning their division, and with four losses in a row they may as well be kissing the wild card chance good-bye as well. I do belive they are better than K.C., but the Chiefs have a shot at their division somehow!
30. Cleveland Browns – They are still winless… they still suck… and they still aren’t in the AFC South! With a -39 points for/against differential, they are not as embarrassing as the -93 Titans and -73 Jaguars.
31 & 32 - These two will just continue to be totally embarrassing, despite that they each sqeaked victories which must be flukes considering how terrible they are as said above; the Jags at a -73 points for/against differential and Titans at -93…. are these teams even trying to play or are they just looking for the highest draft pick possible?
Now we go from embarrassing to excellent, and I even through in a twist at #5, sometimes playing fantastic football will cancel out everything else in your way!
5. Chicago Bears – These guys are great! Daaa Bears! With only a single blemish on their record being the week two loss at Lambeau showing their one weakness being the consistency (or rather the inconsistency) of QB Jay Cutler. However, Cuts looked great other than that game and I can see this team being a force to be reckoned with during the regular season and post season, nobody wants to play against that defense anywhere, and if the game is at Soldier Field in the cold weather you’re not getting out of that game alive!
4. Houston Texans - Yeahhhh, I know, 5-0, big win on Monday Night Football, but the Jets are injured and aren’t very good at all! I see every week the Texans can beat on un-worthy opponents – I mean their only big win was @ Denver in week 3, which is impressive, but I need to see more!
3. Baltimore Ravens – Very similar to the Bears, but more consistent and an easier path to the SuperBowl, I still feel they are AFC favourites. They’d better keep on winning to shrug off the Texans and Patriots who will be hunting them down. The location of the AFC championship game could be the decider! Yeah, I’m getting ahead of myself, but still…
2. Atlanta Falcons – Flawless at 5-0, but the past two weeks were awfully close! Both Defesne and Offense are looking great, and Matt Ryan is getting early MVP talks. Only one team stands in their way right now…
1. San Francisco 49ers – they still have that big week 1 win @ Lambeau, and they still have that big week three loss @ Minnesota. But after that loss I always say sometimes a great team needs to lose once, and then we see how they bounce back from it. Well, it’s been two games since and the 49ers have put up 79 points and only allowed 3 !! They have the best Net Points in the league at 81 and i believe a win against the Giants next week will show that they are the ‘real mo fo deal’!
Last Word Radio Network is pleased to bring you Sunday NFL Blitz Package weekly at 7:30-8:30 pm to discuss all the afternoon and evening games, and get you primed for Sunday and Monday Night Football. If you miss the show, check out the latest archived podcast either on our main page in the sidebar or on the Last Word Radio homepage.