Liverpool Need to Make a Splash – NOW
I scan the transfer rumours every morning as many of you do, mostly for the fun of seeing what absurdities I can find. While it’s somewhat slower than usual because every Tom, Dick and Harry Redknapp seem to be discussing Euro 2012 exclusively – I don’t blame them, for the record. There is one team who I am more concerned with than others – Liverpool.
Simply, Liverpool have finished 8th, 6th and 7th over the past three seasons, failing to seriously make any challenge into the top two or three at any point, and barely flirting with Champions League play. By comparison, since 1994 the club finished in the top four 12 times. Obviously with a team who have a rich history as Liverpool does, this dry spell will need to be remedied.
I’m sure I am going to hear from many who will tell me about this player and that, and how they won the League Cup and played very well through the FA Cup. Those are all great, and look nice over the fireplace on a crisp evening with some hot cocoa, but at the end of the day the money that comes with earning a trip to the Champions League, and the prestige of participating, must trump almost all else.
Don’t get me wrong, the Reds have some nice players – Suarez, Henderson, Johnson, Downing, Gerrard, Carroll, etc. The problem isn’t necessarily that they don’t have talented players. The problem is that their talented players don’t compliment each other well, and when you have paid $60 million for two somewhat recent signings (Suarez and Carroll), the obvious inclination is to make them work together. The difficult decision is at what point must you contemplate selling them.
When I look at who the other big clubs have on their rosters right now, as well as potential and secured transfers already (Arsenal sign Podolski and are about to sign Giroud, for example), I just can’t see how Liverpool can find their way back to a Champions League spot. I have been following many discussions surrounding many teams for a while now, and there are a notes concerning Liverpool that must be considered:
- Kalou has publicly stated he wouldn’t mind a transfer to Anfield – after six good seasons at Stamford Bridge, he could bring a good deal of experience and stability to a club who was in turmoil for much of the season
- Carroll is being linked to several teams, including PSV - clearly he was not worth the price tag they paid. With him starting today vs. Sweden, perhaps Liverpool can see his stock rise with a good performance. In that case, sell him (or Suarez – can’t keep both!)
- Suarez, with his public relations nightmare of a season, might be better if he were to move on
- If truly available, sign Milos Krasic NOW! He is a very talented winger from Juve that would fit in well at Anfield
- While incredibly unlikely, there are several reports that the Reds are, or have already have, inquired about signing Berbatov from the Red Devils – any fan of either club will already be laughing by now… (I added this last one purely as entertainment. These are the kind that make me love the rumour mill – just stupid!)
These are just a few rumours floating around that I felt were worth discussion. Again, I don’t so much mind Liverpool’s talent – I just think that the talent they have do not play well with each other.
…until tomorrow, lads.