The FA Bans Joey Barton for 12 Matches

Juventus: Is it Scudetto 28 or 30?

May 26, 2012 Comments (11) English Premier League, Sports History

What You May Not Know About Didier Drogba

by

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+7Share on Reddit53

I would like the world to recognize Chelsea FC star striker Didier Drogba (Didier Yves Drogba Tébily).

Your first thought is likely a mental image of his recent successes; scoring the game-tying and game winning goal in this year’s champions league final against Bayern Munich.  He is oft-considered amongst the best strikers of the decade, with good reason.  But for me, what makes Drogba special, and this is coming from a United fan, is Didier’s humanitarian efforts.  He is a class-act as a man, and that trumps the fact that he is a football legend.

Weeks before the World Cup 2006 in Germany, his native Ivory Coast was in a state of upheaval as civil war spread throughout his homeland.   Using his star power, Drogba announced that he would not compete in the tournament unless the fighting would stop.  Quite a bold move when you consider the violence, and how he might just have put himself in the crosshairs.  The citizens of Ivory Coast responded to his request and put down their weapons.  Quite literally, he had the star power to make a difference, and did just that, saving countless lives along the way.  We will never know how many generations in Cote D’Ivoire owe their lives to Didier Drogba.

This week Drogba was at it again.  Pepsi endorsed him $3 million USD for his MVP role in helping Chelsea FC to a Champions League title.  Drogba had plans for the money, but they weren’t to buy a car or fund the purchase of a yacht or some other high-falutent purchase.  Rather, on the same day he received the money, he donated it, all $3 million, to help build a badly-needed hospital in his hometown of Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

These selfless acts prove his character.  He truly believes in helping others.  In the world today, I believe athletes in major sports are making way too much money, and as a result, I think it becomes increasingly important that they give back to their community. I wish more athletes, celebrities and CEO’s would give back to the community like Drogba has done, whether that is through financial contributions as Drogba has done, or by acting as role models for our children.  If they did, the world would be a better place.

Kudos, Didier Drogba, you are a truly classy man.

… and thats the last word.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+7Share on Reddit53

11 Responses to What You May Not Know About Didier Drogba

1. Seamus (from the Vengaboys) says:

Admirable acts off the pitch, pathetic antics on it. I’m surprised these causes aren’t embarrassed to be endorsed by this serial diver.

• Bonobo says:

“He builds hospitals for his home town, has single handedly stopped a war for a month, and has saved countless lives.

I can’t believe the sponsors would want anything to do with someone who dives on a football pitch.”

Sometimes stupidity frustrates me.

• Nick says:

Are you kidding? Are you so close minded that you can’t see how he’s using his athletic talent to actually change the world? This guys literally putting in millions to make sure his home is a better place for millions and your complaining about how he made that money, which by the way he’s one of the greatest African players ever and one of the greatest strikers in the Premier League so its not like he didn’t earn it. Your pathetic

2. Seamus (from the Vengaboys) says:

However, Neil Diamond was right. Money talks.

3. Ben says:

So a guy stops a civil war and builds hospitals for the poor and they should be ashamed of him because he dives in a soccer game?

Sheamus, you are a moron.

What Drogba has done is far more important than any diving on the soccer field and if you can’t see how this makes him a great person who should be praised, the I feel sorry for you having to live your life as a blithering idiot.

4. TrueBlueThru-n-Thru says:

A true class act. As a Blues fan I will obviously miss his exploits on the pitch, however for the vary reason mentioned above I will miss him even more. It is nice to have a another gentlemen to overshadow JT’s antics…

5. […] Anyway, back to my original intent – the departure of Didier Drogba.  To be honest, I was never a fan of his.  Not just because he played at Stamford Bridge, though that certainly didn’t help matters, but because I felt he was egomaniacal (which most footballers are, in a sense).  It wasn’t until I read the article written by one of my colleagues at LastWordOnSports, Kevin, who spent time learning about the many acts he has selflessly done throughout his club and international career.  If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend you read, “What You Might Not Know about Didier Drogba“. […]

6. ar says:

Send this article to Drew Breese ( New Orleans) 5years for 100 millions.
    Mr Drogba is a gentleman!!!

7. Anonymous says:

Ben You Said it all, some peaple are real great idiots ,a Great Guy did great things for Sport ,SOCcer and his Country. DROGBA is a Legend.

8. Anonymous says:

he is a true son of africa. we love u drogba.