A Week of Upsets
Well now, that was an interesting week. Let’s just get right to it and our Points of Interest from the past week:
- Connecticut (was #24) lost their third straight to unranked Notre Dame, Sunday afternoon, 50-48. The loss drops UConn to 14-6 and out of the Top 25.
- Kansas State (was #22) dropped to unranked Oklahoma on Saturday, 63-60. The loss also drops them out of the Top 25.
- Speaking of the great state of Oklahoma, their other major university, Oklahoma State knocked off the #2 Missouri Tigers, 79-72, Wednesday night.
- The lead image says it all: #5 Kansas walked into Iowa State, home of the Cyclones and were simply outplayed, 72-64. “Not in Kansas anymore”, indeed.
- San Diego State (formerly #13) fell to Colorado State, 77-60, Saturday afternoon. The loss drops the Aztecs to #17.
- Former #9 Georgetown loss to the roller-coaster Pittsburgh Panthers, 72-60, Saturday night.
- Indiana (was #16) fell to #25 Wisconsin, in one of two ranked team losses this past week. Indiana falls to #20, Wisconsin moves up to #19.
- The other ranked vs ranked loss came to Mississippi State, by way of the Florida Gators. The Bulldogs slip to #22 while Florida moves to #12.
- The consensus “worst team in the country”, the Towson Tigers, got their first win this past Saturday over NC Wilmington, 66-61. The win snaps the Tigers 22-game losing streak, improving their record to 1-22.
- The sole remaining undefeated team, Murray State, remains perfect at 21-0. They move up to #10 in the AP Poll.
This week promises some great matchups; here are your Games of Interest:
- #20 Indiana goes to #23 Michigan; Wednesday, 6:30 EST.
- #14 Georgetown welcome formerly ranked Connecticut, a game the Huskies will look to snap their three-game losing streak. Tip is Wednesday, 7PM EST.
- #15 Marquette travels down to the still-hot Notre Dame Fighting Irish; with a win against Marquette, the Irish look to crack the Top 25. Tip is Saturday, 1PM EST.
- #12 Florida hosts #25 Vanderbilt, Saturday, 1PM EST.
- #16 Virginia travels to the surprising #21 Florida State; tip is Saturday, 1PM EST.
- #4 Missouri hosts #8 Kansas, Saturday, 9PM EST.
- #3 Ohio State at #19 Wisconsin, Saturday, 2PM EST.
- #9 Michigan State hosts cross-state rivals #23 Michigan, Sunday, 1PM EST; this week could make or break the Big Blue’s season.
This is the point of the season where the contenders rise and the pretenders fall. With eight great games this coming week, five of them on Saturday, I am pretty sure my Saturday viewing schedule is planned out.
… and that’s the last word.